1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop in Arkansas tasers 10 year old girl.....with mother's permission

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Parents should have their own tasers.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wish I had thought of that when my eldest son was 10 and the twins were 8. Would have solved all the fighting and squabbling

Just had an idea for a book: "Taser Parenting"

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but there should be restrictions. Like if the kids outnumber the parents.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The woman called the cops because she felt she was unable to handle her daughter. It was an obvious cry for help.

When parents have babies that are crying so much, it is recommended that they leave the babies in the crib to cry themselves out if the parents are getting too frustrated and are close to harming the baby.

Problem is, as the kid gets older, the kid won't necessarily stay where you want them to. The mother was having problems, so she called for help.

I'd rather the mom call the cops and ask them to help instead of reading about a mother who got frustrated and killed her daughter in the paper or on the web site.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When the cop got there, the kid was balled up on the floor crying. That's it. She wasn't running around the house destroying things. She wasn't getting violent. She was just refusing to go to bed and crying.

So you walk away and let her cry it out, then deal with it. It isn't easy, but it certainly isn't a situation in which a parent should even be thinking violent thoughts.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed, but we don't know what the mom was thinking at that time. She may have been extremely frustrated. Or, she just may be an incompetent parent.

Either way, at least the mother didn't harm her kid. The cop, on the other hand ....

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that the cop got beat up by a 65-pound, 10-year-old girl to the point where he felt the need he had to break out the taser? Can guarantee he will never live it down.

A) The cop is obviously not a parent.
    B) The mother shouldn't be one either.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

true. plus shouldn't he try to subdue her with a few whacks from the nightstick, then pull out the pepper spray, and then if needed use the taser.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In a way, she did harm her kid. She stood there and not only let some stranger hurt her, she encouraged it. Unless there was a lot more to that tantrum than we know about, it was all over behavior that any parent worth a damn should know how to handle.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

If a parent can't handle their own 10-year-old child's (relatively minor) behavioural issues without calling in the law, by God, the terrorists have won!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cop fired. Not for tasering the kid, but for not video taping it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i80oBAw3-yV38wncpM-2brLdJ0AgD9CA421O3

Draft saved Draft deleted