1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooperstown trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, even i could spend a day looking around the shops in cooperstown. they sell some great stuff.

2. i'm hoping to go back when griffey is inducted. i can't believe it's been almost 10 years since my first (and only) trip.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Moddy, your bro-in-law will LOVE the PNC Park part of the trip. Saw it last month over two nights and couldn't have been more impressed. I've seen most of the new-generation stadia and PNC beats them all. We sat 20 rows behind the plate for $27 and had plenty of room to spread out thanks to the suckitude of the home team.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The same will probably be said come 2029.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Bringing this one back for a question.

Has anyone ever been there on Labor Day weekend? Is it super crowded then?

I'm contemplating a trip there that weekend, probably Saturday to Tuesday.

And what about parking in Cooperstown? I know they have those three trolleys to take people from the colored parking lots, but is it walkable to from the lots to the HOF area?

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Actually I'll add a question too.

I am planning my first trip to Cooperstown for next year. When is the best time to go? I want to avoid huge crowds but be there when everything is still open. My niece has a fear of extremely large crowds and well baseball is something we have really bonded over. I want to surprise her with a trip out there while keeping in mind her concerns.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Basically, go in early-mid spring and early-mid fall.
    I was there on the first Sunday in May and it was dead.
    As for the lots, it depends what lot, but why wouldn't you want to ride the trolley?
    Again, depends when you go, offseason, you can park somewhat close and walk.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

thank you. Both good times for walking around too. Not too hot or too cold.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Just got back. You can park for free on the streets surrounding the Hall of Fame if you want to move your car every two hours (and, yes, the Hall of Fame lets you come and go as you like, so long as you get your hand stamped). There's also a pay lot at Doubleday Field, about a block and a half away.

I would imagine it would be beautiful in the fall, with the leaves and all. There's only about 2,000 residents, so it's never that crowded outside of induction weekend. If you can avoid the summer tourists, you'll be fine.

10. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

We went in early June and it was busy, but not overly crowded. We parked at Doubleday field. It was $10, I think and we were able to take pictures at Doubleday before storms came in.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Little known fact: The National Soccer Hall of Fame is nearby in Oneonta. I've never been there, but supposedly it covers the history of the game in the country pretty well.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I have been there. It didn't take long to go through there. You could stop there on your way into Cooperstown and still get to the Baseball HOF before lunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted