1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooperstown trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is the way to do it. Also some nice B&Bs if you can't get in the Inn. Nice boat tours of the lake, too.

The drive is a pain in the ass with all the two-lane driving.

2. It's been almost 10 years since I went, but I thought it wasn't too far down from the HOF. Seemed like they sold a variety of food, but burgers were the specialty.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And I'm guessing you got a recommendation from the same guy I got it from. ;)

There are certain food rules to live by when you travel: Don't ever order seafood in flyover country. Don't order Mexican food in a state bordering Canada. Don't order barbeque anywhere but the Deep South (Kansas City being the major exception.)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That hotel is 600 bucks a night. That's not going to happen.

5. I think I remember that place when we went. My dad and I laughed when it said it had real Texas barbecue.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I never stayed there but I had brunch there once. Very nice.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

One other...If I may:
    Never eat at a "gas station-slash."
    Gas station/Taco Bell...
    Gas station/Burger King...
    Gas station/Subway...
    There will be hell to pay.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I agree that you SHOULD use at least a day. I'm just saying that you CAN get through it in a half-day.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cooperstown+ny+hotels&aq=0&oq=cooperstown+ny+ho

some other choices, all less expensive than the Otesaga.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I went a few years ago, took my non-sports fan dad. First, stay at the Otesaga is at all possible. We went in October, and the mist coming off the lake in the morning, with the leaves changing and a damn chill in the air -- my most perfect morning ever! You'll even get a chuckle from the live bait vending machine by the docks (it was just odd. I'd never seen one before).

We took a full day at the Hall. I must have taken about four rolls of film. Dad was getting bored at one point, but he hung in there. Spent half the next day going through the shops in town, the baseball field. Best quality time my Dad and I ever spent together.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I really liked the pancakes at that place across the street from Doubleday Field. I wish I remember its name.
    I just remembered. It's TJ's Grill.

12. Second that. My Dad is a huge baseball fan and got me into it, but that was definitely the most memorable day I've ever had with him when it was just us two.

Draft saved Draft deleted