1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest story/member in your family tree

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jun 12, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I grew up being told that this guy was my great-great grandfather:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Wesley_Evans

But turns out I'm descended from a different Hiram Wesley Evans.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do any of his direct descendants have any money? I don't.

One of my wife's second cousins is Todd of Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I am distantly related to actress Vinessa Shaw.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great thread.

My great great uncle (I think that`s the right number of greats) was in the Northwest Mounted Police, the forerunner of the RCMP. They helped settle Western Canada. I have a copy of his discharge papers.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm related to Patrick Henry.

Also have a ancestor who was a Union solider and spent time in a Confederate POW camp. We actually have a transcribed copy of that guy's diary.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My great-grandmother and great-grandfather emigrated from Croatia in 1908 to western Pennsylvania. Shortly after, he left her with eight kids. They had purchased a small plot of land near Uniontown, Pa. but he apparently couldn't handle things. Shortly after he bugged out, they discovered a deposit of natural gas under the land. My great G-Ma got a monthly payment for life from the state, plus free cooking and heating gas. She expanded the house and opened it up for other immigrant miners to rent rooms. When they played cards at night in the parlor, she got a cut of every pot. She also had a still in the woods, made her own stuff, found something to color it bourbon, and sold it to the miners for 25 cents a shot. Stories about how tough she was remain legend in our family.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My late uncle was engineer on a roof in London for Edward R. Murrow's live reports during the blitz, then came home to revive the Grand Ole Opry broadcast and show as the general manager, "wrote" a song that topped the charts for weeks (but really, he didn't write it, he was given it by the real writer in exchange for letting the writer's buddy perform on the Opry), then founded one of the first music publishing companies in the world -- the first song he published was "Heartbreak Hotel" -- became friends with Elvis Presley and one Saturday afternoon brought him over to my house when I was a kid so my mom could make him meatloaf. Oh, and shortly before he died, he married his years-younger nurse, so she inherited the company, and all the money that came with it when Sony/Michael Jackson bought the damn thing years later.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Second cousin on my mother's side survived Dachau and became a writer.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My great-great-great grandfather was a Confederate 2nd Lt. in the 39th Tenn. Mounted Infantry (Company H if you really want to know). He made it through a handful of early minor battles, was in the shit at Champion Hill and ultimately captured when Vicksburg fell. He was paroled not long after and told to go home, but the regiment reformed and rejoined the war.

I also had a relative in the Revolution (fought at Kings Mountain) and one in the War of 1812 (don't know much about him).

10. Not much here ...

I have an uncle who was a member of Merrill's Marauders.

My great grandfather, a doughboy in WWI, had the man next to him in the trench in France kill himself.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I think buckweaver would like to have a word ...

Not too much interesting in my family tree, but I'm a fifth-generation journalist, which was kind of cool to discover. Nobody had ever told me.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

According to Beano Cook, four years of my cousin is like eight years of Hoover.

Draft saved Draft deleted