1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Especially golf.

Give me Tommy Roy's or Lance Barrow's gig, thank you. Not that it's a total skate; I worked with Chris Ohlmeyer (son of Don) on several ESPN golf telecasts and Chris (who now runs a production house with his former ESPN director, Lou Kusserow) worked his ass off. But it's the best gig short of Jim Nantz's or Johnny Miller's.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Alex Trebek.

The man works TWO days a week (Tuesday and Wednesday), roughly 11 a.m. to 5:30ish p.m. He reads questions/answers, drops condescending lines here and there whenever the mood arises. And he makes more money than half this board.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Zamboni Driver.

Seems like sort of strange and interesting maintenance work. Plus you can deck the thing out with all sorts of crap and it looks neither garish nor out of place.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A mechanic friend of mine had the service contract on the zambonis at Culver City Ice Rink many years ago. One time, the the zamboni at The Forum broke down and they couldn't fix it right away so he got to drive one from Culver City to Inglewood. He didn't take the freeway.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

John Madden had a really cool couple of jobs, when you think about it.

Work just half a year. Spend Saturdays talking to coaches and players. Sundays he broadcasted. The rest of the week was spent riding around in a bus, and reading up info on the teams.

And then he had side gigs of lending his name to a video game, doing commercials, and a few other enterprises.

6. I also used to know a strip club DJ, and he hated the job. He said the girls were supposed to give him a percentage of their tips at the end of the night to make up a considerable portion of his pay, and they would all try to cheat him out of money by either lying about what they made or offering sexual favors as payment. He said the first few weeks on the job were good because of this, but then he his bills started piling up and he had to fight with them every night to get paid.

Not sure if that's how every strip club works, but for what it's worth this was a scuzzy strip club in a scuzzy Florida town.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i have to agree with this. i'm a lawyer and it's been a long time since i was a sports writer. when i tell colleagues or lawyers i meet that i used to be a sports writer they are utterly fascinated by how cool my life must have been.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

My dad was at High Holy Days about 20 years ago. He and a lawyer friend were talking about what their kids were doing. My dad told him I was a sports writer, even though I was working at a 30k paper in the sticks, covering minor league baseball and preps.

My dad -- who always supported me no matter what -- said he wanted me to be a lawyer, but I became a writer. The lawyer said he always wanted to be a sports writer, but became a lawyer. He said this with more than a tinge to his voice.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Seriously? it's legal to drive them in the street? thought they went on a truck.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As cool as some of these jobs are, folks, I give you the guy with the greatest job in the world... Phil Keoghan.

Basically, Phil's job is to host the Amazing Race and, really, all that's required of him is to travel to the world's most exotic lands, see the world's most amazing sites and, when it's time to work, his job is standing on a mat with some local person as the competing teams come to the pit stop.

Can't think of a better job.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

They needed it, he drove it.

Draft saved Draft deleted