1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

movie reviewer.
    Sure there's the downside that you have to sit through incredibly bad movies all the time, for every "Godfather" there are 50 "Leprechaun Goes to the Hood", but if you are allowed to tear those movies to shreds in your review, that wouldn't be all that bad.

Also, being Worldwide Wes would be pretty awesome

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Musician on, to use wrestling-ese, upper midcard level. You make nice money and enjoy the benefits of fame, but don't have to live with it 24/7. You deal with fans and hangers-on at the concert venue/studio/major events you attend, but the rest of the time, out of your working element, you're nobody. You can go out to dinner or run out to the store without being recognized. People, E! and TMZ don't give a damn about you.
    That's the best kind of fame. Not long from now, Lady Gaga will wake up wishing she were at that level.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Back in the 1980s, Charley Pierce and I concluded that Chuck Nevitt (remember him?) had the world's best job -- 12th man on the Lakers. Great money for a young guy, no responsibilities except not accidentally injuring Kareem at practice and you go to clubs and tell women casually, "yeah, I'm with the Lakers."
    2. I had what I thought was a dream job for awhile. I was restaurant critic for the Boston Phoenix. And it turned out to be drudgery. When eating is work, that's just weird. I was happy when they gave the gig to a full-time restaurant writer.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Lady Gaga always appears in 'disguise'. I'm betting she can hang at the mall and nobody would notice if she was in civvies.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I jumped in with Laird Hamilton on a previous thread similar to this one.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

No love for the adult film director?
    "No, no, no! Not like that! Like this ... oh, never mind, you should know how to do this by now. It's not like you're wearing white to your wedding, missy! OK, people, places ...."

Would have said Gulfstream test pilot, but they lost four people in a crash in New Mexico a few months back. Maybe Lockheed test pilot, taking the F22 and F35 through its paces. Yeah....
    Hell yes on astronaut. But not after July 8. Wanna hitch a ride on a Russian rocket? No, thanks.
    Sniper? Sounds great. Except there's a sniper out for you, like the North Vietnamese sniper who was stalking Carlos Hathcock as Hathcock stalked him. They wound up in each other's hiding spot in the valley they were in before Hathcock killed him - with a shot through the NVA sniper's rifle scope.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fighter pilot? No way, that's the highway to the danger zone.

8. great trailer with LaFontaine for Seinfeld's movie

http://youtu.be/fVDzuT0fXro

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Chelsea Handler's pet dwarf would be a good gig.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ!

Sorry. Couldn't help it. I fucking hate jet pilots.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Staff member on the Stern Show. Producer type gig and not on the air every damn day.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Actually, have spent some time in a TV truck, I'd say live TV event producer is the coolest gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted