1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

First time I went to a strip club, it was a surprise. I was part of a bachelor party that just ended up there unplanned. As such, I only had about $50 cash on me and didn't want to get any lap dances or do anything I couldn't pay for. Interesting experience. It really gave me a chance to be a fly on the wall.
    Among the things I noticed, is that after about an hour it doesn't even seem weird that women are walking around topless. You don't even realize it anymore. It's a weird transition.
    I also noticed that, after the initial "Oooh! Boobies!" reaction wore off, most of the women looked better with their clothes ON. And this was at a decent club in a big city. Can't imagine what some of the strippers in the hinterlands look like.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know who has a cool job? That guy who works for that shoe company who travels the world and gives free shoes to needy kids. It was featured on an Amex commercial or something.
    I'd also like Sam Calagione's job as owner of Dogfish Head Brewery and host of last year's Brew Masters on Discovery, traveling the world drinking and making beer.
    I also want to be that person that tells athletes when to run out on the field when their name is announced at all-star games, post-season games etc. And maybe in the off-season, be responsible for taking the annual World Champion Philadelphia Eagles/Buffalo Bills/Atlanta Braves gear to Southern Sudan.

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

No matter how cool it is, it's still a job. It'll still feel like a job.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being the head pro at Augusta National or any other private golf course that's open half the year with a tiny membership.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh - I'm sure that guy has stories, with that membership list. Hell - that would be a best seller. Half the membership would be insulted if they were included, the other half insulted if they weren't.

Hell - I'm sure people think being a sportswriter is the coolest job. And it is. Until you go back to the office and open up your paycheck.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i say and mean this with all sincerity and humility but i'm old enough to have been a sportswriter when it was still considered a 'cool' job. my friends and relatives sure thought it was 'cool.' and so did i. 8)

it sure as hell beat working for a living. not so much anymore, though i bet there are still plenty in the biz and out who still think it's pretty cool.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's the guy on XM/Sirius radio who announces the starting time and channels for that night's game.
    "At 5:10 p.m., the Pirates play the Rockies on XM 178."
    Sweet!

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Boat tour guide on Capri.

[​IMG]

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

SJ moderator

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, that goes without saying. But about that paycheck...

What MTM said...voice-over work is great. I forget the name of the guy who did all the movie trailers, he died not too long ago, but his life was great. Limo to the studio for something like one day a week. No briefcase. Made a mint.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bob Pritchard's job. He's the guy who travels with The Stanley Cup

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's Don LaFontaine. And yes, he had the greatest gig in the world. Had a mini-studio in his house, so there were plenty of days he didn't have to climb into a limo and head in.

Draft saved Draft deleted