1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool (unless you're him) Nationwide golf meltdown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Mar 30, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Just now, guy named Greg Chalmers hits it into really high grass to the right of the green on a par 3. Really high.

Hits two, three, four, five, six. Takes an unplayable. Hits seven, eight, nine. Takes an unplayable. Except for drops, we've never seen the ball.

Hits 11 across the green.

Now he's in the (albeit much shorter) rough on the other side needing to get up and down for 12. Blows it past 20 feet. Misses the putt. 13.

Dectuple bogey. Goes from one under for the tournament to 9 over. In one hole.

I have felt his pain.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

3. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

If I remember correctly, Chalmers was in contention on the final day at the PGA that Rich Beem won.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

He's not a complete hack. He has $3.7 million in career PGA earnings.

This, of course, isn't about hackdom anyway. Just one of those nightmares even those who play this game halfway decently find themselves in now and then.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw one of my golfing buddies do that once in a Sunday money game where we'd have anywhere from 4 to 16 of us (this instance was 12)... he went OB left off the tee -- 100 yds forward, 70 to the left in a condo's back yard. We play distance and stroke, so he's dropping hitting three. Duffs his way up the 13th (adjecent) fairway and is within a 100 yards of the green in six (par 5, 470 yards).
    However there's a small pond between him and the green. Chips in for 7, out for 8; back in for 9, out for 10, in for 11, out for 12.
    This is getting painful to watch, and embarrassing for him. But it's a money game ($10 for skins, $10 team bet) and, while we were very good friends, his ego will not let him lose to me, even though he was in a two-year stretch where he never beat me.
    Chipped onto the far side of the green for 13, putted accross the green for a 14, two-putted from there for 16.
    Put a 12on his card and eight guys jumped him for lying....

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Dectuple bogey? Never heard of that one before. Although I'm guessing I've made a few myself. Now I know what to say next time: "Dectuple F'ing bogey!"

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

and then go get a F*CKING haircut

8. Chalmers is also a lefty.
    Obviously, He's no Phil Mickelson or Bob Charles.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Playing in the second of two foursomes one day at the Legends Club in Franklin, Tenn., which has hosted the USGA Girls Junior Amateur and an LPGA Tour event several times.

Friend in the group in front of us made a 20 on a par 4, including 12 or 13 shots from the same bunker. Just brutal.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

couldn't he have hit his tee shot over after taking a stroke.. or dropped as far back as he wanted keeping the hazard between himself and the flag? Seems somewhat juvenile when a professional golfer takes six or seven swipes at it and can't make contact.

Although kudos to him for rebounding with back-to-back birdies.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's what makes those guys f'in studs. Amateurs make huge numbers after birdies, pros make birdies after big numbers.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He should've pulled out the Nike wedge. Works for me more often than not.

Draft saved Draft deleted