1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cookie completely loses his mind

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Apr 22, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

http://gawker.com/382718/dyslexia-to-save-print

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This has to be a joke, or a mistake, right?

If not, it's just dumb-gimmicky -- and also insulting, to children and dyslexics, and child dyslexics, everywhere.

And what good or public service does it do, if, perchance, people actually really can't read it?

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

No, it's real.

Cooke gleefully admits he has never had an original idea in his life and actively pilfers them from elsewhere. He once proposed a rating system for sports games, similar to rating restaurants or movies. So you would say last night's Mets game was a 1-star, while the Yanks-Sox get 4 stars.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought maybe I was missing something.

And it's not like I'm totally against gimmicks or attempts at creative ideas.

I once even purposely ran a topically themed opinion page upside-down in order to go along with the subject matter. This was back when I was on a college newspaper. It forced readers that day to turn the paper over once they got to the back page, but otherwise, it was perfectly readable.

All the readers I saw do it got a puzzled look on their face at first, and then just shook their head and gave a little laugh at it.

I realized, as soon as the paper came out and the adviser had reamed me about it (even though, of course, he hadn't been about to stop me beforehand), that I'd gone too far, that it wasn't necessary and didn't really work that well.

But most people I talked to did get it, at least. And besides, that was on the opinion page, at a college paper.

Nowadays, at a professional paper, I wouldn't dream of doing something like what was done here -- where people might not necessarily realize you're not doing it mistakenly, and yet, also might not make the connection that children equal dyslexia, or that gun violence (even against children) equates to dyslexia.

Because they don't. This just does not work. At all.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Backward letters equal dyslexia?

Draft saved Draft deleted