1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

convince me, techies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Mar 21, 2011.

1. I am about to sign an AT&T contract and get an iphone. Can anyone with experience with both of them tell me why I need the Iphone 4 over the 3GS? I just recently bought an ipod touch 4th generation (which I now have to sell) so that factors into the equation since I am used to the retina display and the HD video camera. but I honestly wouldn't find a need for the facetime feature and I don't know if there is going to be that much of a difference in displays. What else should I be factoring into my decision? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Jailbreak your iPod touch.
    Download skype.
    Never pay a cell phone bill again.
    Seriously, there was something on gizmodo a few months back on how you can spend like three bucks a month on your cell phone bill by jailbreaking you touch and downloading apps that make it work like a cell phone.

3. Three problems . . .

1. I tend to be a rule follower, plus I prefer to not be piss out of luck when I can't get customer service for my touch when somethign goes wrong because I have jailbroken it.
    2. I have used skype before, unless there have been vast improvements in the service, no thanks
    3. Since I don't fully understand the differences between the Iphone 3GS and 4, I have a hard time thinking jailbreaking a touch is something that I could do. :)

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why AT&T?

5. I had no intention of buying an Iphone with a plan. I was more of a pay as you go phone guy, so I have been very happy with my straighttalk slide phone for the past two years. That was the reason I bought a touch in the first place . . . all the ammenities without the monthly plan. But my father in law wanted to do the family plan and include the Mrs. and I on it, and we end up paying 5 bucks a month more than we previously did and we get a huge upgrade in our cell phone service. He wanted the AT&T for whatever reason and I am fine with it. Plus, While we may go for the Iphone 4 on our end, my FIL and MIL will likley only want to do the 50 buck phone, and I was under the impression that it wasn't available for verizon since they just got on board with the iphone. Am I wrong about that?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The cost of the iPhone to a Verizon customer would depend where they are in the cycle of their contract, I think. But probably not $50 no matter what, as you point out.

I think Verizon is the better carrier, but if the in-laws want AT&T, then there you are.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

More software developers are headed in the direction of the Android OS. Go Verizon, get something like the Fascinate.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Even bigger problem. You could only use the thing when you were in a WiFi hotspot. It kind of defeats the purpose most people have cell phones for.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You could go to a place that sells both phones and ask them to show you how both work. But I'll tell you what you'll find:

- The 4 is faster than the 3GS. Newer processor, way snappier.
    - The main camera on the 4 is a 5 megapixel sensor. That's way better than the Touch you have, even way better than what is shipping with the iPad 2. It shoots 720 p video and stills that you can use for applications outside of email (I use mine for basic paper photography, so long as the subject is close and isn't moving much).
    - The 4 has a better wireless chip in it (N-rated instead of B/G). Basically you'll get better wireless performance over wifi. FYI your current Touch has wireless N, so the 3GS would actually be worse in this area.
    - The 4 is prettier.
    - Where I am (Canada), you can't get a new 3GS with more than 8 gigabytes of memory - and no, there's no expandable memory slot. The 4 goes up to 32 gigabytes. Whether you need that much depends on what kind of content you have. I've filled my 32 Gb version up to capacity with video, thousands of songs and pictures, email, dozens of apps and more. I could fill a 64 Gb version if they sold one.

In short, get the 4 if you don't mind the extra dent in your wallet. And for God's sake, buy a case for it. It solves the potential antenna problem and protects the phone.

10. Thats a lot of what I was looking for, thanks so much, Gomer.

11. dieditor

dieditor Member

It's also important to remember that Apple releases software updates for the iPhone several times a year. If it's a major release (3.0, 4.0, etc.), the updates may not work on older models. Eventually the updates won't work (or won't be free) for the 3GS and you'll miss out on the new features.

Something else to consider is that Apple/AT&T typically release new iPhone models in the summer. Unless your family is dead-set on buying new phones now, you might think about waiting to see when the iPhone 5 comes out. That's the main reason I haven't dumped my 3GS yet -- I don't want to buy a 4 only to have it be replaced a month later by something else.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It was the prettier aspect that sold you, wasn't it...

Draft saved Draft deleted