1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Controversial WH photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Posted without comment:
    http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-photo-sparks-protest-223835400.html

2. mb

mb Active Member

Replied without comment.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to the photo?

OK, I looked.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

If they were going to do this, they should have allowed AP to do the same.

Otherwise, they should have followed the lead of the DoD and not had photogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Sparks protest"?

By whom?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This president continues to be poorly supported by his staff.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

He also has some accountability here. How could he possibly not know this was in terrible taste?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is there any indication he knew there was a photographer there or that the DoD had said no?

I also don't see the "protest" of which the headline speaks. Unless they're talking about AP protesting that it got shut out.

9. YankeeFan

It was a WH photog. He would be "in the package" and someone very well known to the President -- someone who is around him all the time.

And, yeah, the protest referred to AP (and other news orgs), I don't think they meant to imply their were protesters in the streets.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So are we debating whether Obama infuriated the families or whether the AP got its knickers in a twist? Because one of those things apparently didn't happen and the other doesn't mean all that much.

11. YankeeFan

Well, so far, just the latter -- though I think that does matter.

But, the DoD had rules in place out of respect for the families. I don't think we know yet if any family members were offended by the picture.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So the White House photog has access that other organizations don't have? Color me shocked. What is the outrage here? That they went against the families' wishes (even though this photo could have been from any number of ceremonies and did not depict the caskets or anything remotely similar). Is it that the other orgs were shut out (a legitimate journalistic concern). Or is it that the president and his staff are manufacturing positive press? Oh, the horror!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.