1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Continuing to Peak in middle age?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jul 29, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Same here -- mid-40's and the athleticism (I look that term loosely) is just... different now.

I can't jump (I dunked last at 36 and that was a big deal for me) and I've given up basketball for ACL concerns. However, I can run long distances more than before and I've become a fairly decent tennis player compared to 30 years ago. I think an understanding of strategy and angles goes a long way but I've found a surprisingly good "touch" where I can usually place a return within a foot of the back line and, on occasion, I'll shock myself with a cross-court winner going the other way.

The Laz-E-Boy workouts are still vigorous. Turns out she's excited for football season and likes watching Romo on the pre-game intro while "on the Laz-E-Boy". Whatever works.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

TONY ROMO: "Look at that. You see how @exmediahack is putting his index and middle fingers together? I'd wager he's about to go knuckles deep inside... Told you so."

swingline likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The only working out that I do consists of pushups -- 40 to 50 each morning -- and 100 core twists, usually in the shower. I'd like to get up to 100 push-ups per day, but then I'd really be fighting off the ladies.

JK.

I have never been to a gym in my life. They don't appeal to me. I ride my bike, play golf every Wednesday, and I'm probably in better shape now than I was in my 20s. I'm 6-1 and weigh about 195, which could be less -- but I still drink too much, smoke socially and indulge in drugs.

My darts game has never been sharper.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted