1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Continued Kennedy Coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 27, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Watching this was very sad. Politics aside I got to thinking about what his life must have been like. Both his older brothers were murdered and he had to go through a very public lifetime grieving process. I can't imagine losing my sister to violence. It would kill me. But to lose two older brothers like that and keep your sanity ... uggg. If nothing else is admirable about the man, that is.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just watching the CBS Evening News and the reporter Wyatt Andrews leads into the story about the burial at Arlington leads into the story with this: "It has long been Ted Kennedy's dream to join his brothers Jack and Bobby here at Arlington National Cemetery. ..."

Sorry, but I don't think anyboy's "dream" is to end up dead in any cemetery. They may have a place they want to be buried, but it's not their "dream."

Might want to consider rewording that.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

One of extraordinary comfort and advantage otherwise.

Please.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Do you think he would have given it all back if it meant his brothers would not have been murdered? I would think so. I would think anyone would give up pretty much anything to protect their family. But that's just me. I could be wrong.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seeing the lightning illuminate Arlington House, the sillhouette of the bugle player - amazing. That letter to the Pope was like a final word, as if he was attempting to explain himself at the very end. God Speed Teddy.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

was wondering after watching the funeral procession heading for the capitol. it's always been my experience that cars traveling on the other side of the road pull over when a procession goes by. that wasn't happening with kennedy's procession. is pulling over just a regional thing?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes.

And if you move to the South and nobody TELLS you about this "tradition," it's liable to cause a wreck. I'm surprised there aren't more, actually. ::)

Pull over for emergency vehicles, fire engines, cops, etc. Absolutely.
    Funerals? Not here, thankfully.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Here, an entire funeral procession is allowed to continue going through an intersection, even if the light turns red.

But no one pulls completely over to the side until it passes.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

we pull over on both sides until a procession goes by

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How or why would you care if you're dead?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw a few comments on this thread about Teddy being overshadowed by his brothers.

OK, I can see that argument.

But who did more for their country in the long run? RFK or Teddy? I say Teddy, but I'll hang up and listen.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Teddy, easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted