1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contest category question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lmcmillan33, Jan 29, 2009.

1. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I have two stories I'm looking to enter into a journalism contest that I'm not certain which category they belong in. Both could be considered a feature or news story. Let me know which best fits.

The first is about a legendary coach in her last home game. It describes the ceremony before the game, including quotes from speakers and the coach. But it also includes a lot of feature-type items, such as a description of her career and quotes that were not part of the ceremony (but attained at the game). I think maybe it fits news most because everything came from the event, but let me know what you think.

The second is on a wrestler. The category descriptions say to include game previews as news stories, so that's how I'm leaning on this one. It's a preview of a kid about to wrestle in the state tourney, but it also is very much a feature on the wrestler (about how bad he was as a freshman and how he almost quit). Of course, it also gives a few details on his opponent and things like that.

Just looking for some reassurance that I'm putting this in the proper category. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the first is a news story. you already have the answer for the second.

Draft saved Draft deleted