1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contemporary country is pure BS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 18, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And there's a reason you don't see the country establishment trot Yoakum out anymore, he actually took some artistic gambles instead of going the safe route of creating product.

The record labels don't like that. The record labels utterly control country. No more Yoakum on your radio.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Bubbs,

Not knowing if you're up to speed on your country music history, there was this guy way back in the day named Bob Wills. He was the "father" of western swing. You know, the wild west cowboys who wore tassels.

He was Strait's inspiration, and Strait performs more western swing than anything else. His fans also see him as a cowboy. A known rancher and farmer, lots of folks identify with him.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With a whopping four albums in 13 years?

As opposed to Toby Keith, who releases one every other Tuesday.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yoakum is the heir to the Bakersfield Sound, and thus passes the cool test. As for Strait, some of the 80s stuff works just fine (I defy you to consider Amarillo By Morning as tripe). His jump the shark time came in the early 90s when he was involved in a slapdick movie called Pure Country.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh Christ. Dr. Phil, who I maintain would be what a fart would look like it could take on human form, and his drunken beaver-looking wife are presenting an award.

Steve Earle should shoot out a TV on general principle.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I do have one guilty pleasure not mentioned in this thread so far: Vince Gill.

7. three_bags_full

Amarillo By Morning is my favorite song of all time.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

See: Shit like this is why for every 100 brokeass threads we get around this joint, a good one pops up. Someone introduces me to something new. I need to go lookin' around iTunes now.

Thanks, 2Much!

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I like nearly everything I've heard on the CMAs. But I'm also a Yankee, so what do I know? ::)

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

One of my favorite lyrics: "I'll be lookin' for 8 when they pull that gate."

11. three_bags_full

Randy Rogers, Jason Boland and Cross Canadian Ragweed. Shooter Jennings, also, to an extent.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

As an aside: If you've never dabbled in Chris LeDoux... get off your ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted