1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Considering a career move. Advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Sep 30, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Go. Broaden your horizons. You've learned a new trade -- news. You might think you know it, but you don't until you work it.
    And there's this money/time thingy....

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's your wife do?

BTW, learn to write no more than 600-word stories unless it's an in-depth story. A 1,000-word meeting story is pretty much the same as a 1,000-word field hockey story.

If you think you're not qualified, you probably aren't. Fake it until you make it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You do not have to apologize for this or justify yourself. Not to this board and not to anybody. Unreal that at $24K a year, people immediately told you not to make a move for substantially, substantially more money in both the short-term AND the long-term.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My wife is a Certified Nursing Assistant and recently got a second job as a Hospice worker to pay off some debt that she has.

I feel like saying no this to opportunity would be like slapping my wife in the face. She's busting her ass and I'm choosing to stay in sports because I like it? That's not a mature decision, that's sticking with what I know for fear of trying something new.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Schiezainc: If you're offered the job, make this move.

While there's no doubt the money and more normal work schedule are important, here's what I'm seeing from your first post: A chance to have more of an impact on decisions at your paper. I've worked with some great people and done some good work at a half-dozen publications over the past 16 years, but the things I'll always remember are stories I either wrote or worked with reporters on that actually changed things in the community.

It's great that you and your coworker have created a sports section(s) to be proud of. That's important, too, and hopefully your coworker will be able to continue that excellence if you take the new position. But a new challenge and the chance to affect the focus and news judgment of your company is a chance that doesn't come around too often.

And if nothing else, going through the interview/application process will help you in the long run, whether it's at your current company or another shop.

Good luck.

6. schiezainc

I was doing perfectly fine on $24K a year but I got married over the summer and my savings went from eight grand to four grand in only a couple of months.

I either need to get a second job in addition to this sports gig, which is impossible I've figured out because I don't have a set schedule, or I need to find a better, higher-paying gig.

My motivation isn't entirely financial though. I'd also like to start crushing other local news sections, which I'm confident I could do once I settle into the role.

7. schiezainc

Thanks and I was just talking to my coworker about this.

Fact is, I'm not bragging when I say the sports section of our paper is, by far, the best section of it. Anyone on this message board that's seen our product will attest to this I believe.

But in terms of respect and having a voice in the goings-on of this place? Yeah, we're treated like a lesser class.

It's my goal to put out a great product every week and, through that, my hope is that they start looking at me, and my coworker, in a different light.

And maybe, just maybe, they'll start to respect us for the work we've done/am currently doing.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you don't love what you do for eight hours a day, the extra money isn't going to make up for it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good to see a representative from management stop by.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It might come damn close, though. I no longer do what I love, but the extra money sure does take the sting off.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Makes it a lot easier to do other things that you love, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Co-sign.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted