1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connie Chung's Career (RIP)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Jun 19, 2006.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

If you are going to commit career suicide you may as well not leave any doubt ...

Video

CONNIE CROAKS ADIEU
    New York Post
    By MICHAEL SHAIN

June 19, 2006 -- THE ratings-starved Maury Povich and Connie Chung weekend show on MSNBC ended its short, six-month run with a bizarre send-off - sure to live on as a tone-deaf stunt Chung will not soon be allowed to forget.

Perched on the edge of a white grand piano and decked out in a full-length evening gown, the former CBS and CNN anchorwoman warbled a farewell song that put down Dan Rather (with whom she co-anchored the CBS news in the early 1990s), her husband and cable TV - all at the same time. "Thanks for the memories," she sang to the tune of the old standard:

We came to do a show for very little dough
    By little, I mean I could make more working on skid row
    That's cable TV.
    Thanks for the memories
    This half a year flew by
    That Maury, what a guy
    Instead of asking: Who's the daddy? He could talk Dubai
    How stunned were we all
    Thanks for the memories
    The thing I love the most
    About hubby as co-host
    Is all those other anchors were as dull as melba toast
    The sparks really flew
    Thanks for the memories
    Now that the show is through
    I've got bigger things to do
    But Maury is back weighing in:
    Fat babies, how taboo!
    He can't get enough.

At the end of the song, she collapsed on the floor of the studio as the camera faded out.
    Video excerpts of Chung's off-key performance began popping up on the Internet almost as soon as it aired Saturday night. The couple's half-hour talk show, "Weekends with Maury & Connie," aired its final edition Saturday and Sunday. The weekly program, which began last January, marked Chung's return to TV after her weeknight CNN series was canceled in 2003.

2. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

At least the woman has a sense of humor.
    I love this line...

That Maury, what a guy
    Instead of asking: Who's the daddy? He could talk Dubai

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

is this d_b thread? I could have sworn her career died several years ago.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

I just watched the video on YouTube. Connie does not have a great voice.

But watching this video makes me wish I was one of the few dozen people who actually watched the show. It looks like Maury and Connie had fun with it.

5. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

All I saw of the show was from The Soup. The letter writing dream sequences were painful to watch.

6. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Imus had the video this morning. Was very hard to watch. Thankfully, he cut it after about 20 seconds.

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Connie Chung has failed at every job she's had, yet she keeps getting more. She's the poster child for failing upward. This won't be the last we've seen of her, although it should be.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well before the reincarnation of this board.

9. Connie looked fairly hammered there.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This thing will get 10x the ratings on YouTube that it did on cable.

And speaking of that, why doesn't MSNBC just go ahead and simulcast on the Web, commercials and all? The technology is there, sufficient broadband penetration is there, they have nothing left to lose with Fox and CNN kicking sand in their faces, it gets around the myriad cable systems (mine included) that don't carry them, it finally fulfills the promise of interactivity that Microsoft was supposed to bring to the party way back when, etc.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think better set design is the key. After all, if the set looks fabulous, the content won't matter. People won't be able to turn away!

12. I thought the same thing.

I was reminded of the Julie Andrews character from S.O.B. who they had to get liquored up so she would bare her "boobies".

Draft saved Draft deleted