1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting the dots between sexy media guides and homophobia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 24, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, because it is a horrible thing to ask women to look like, well, you know, women...... ::)

What a fucking country.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

BARELY ACCEPTABLE
    A brouhaha is brewing down in Louisiana over the Northwestern State women's team media guide. The cover photo, dreamed up by sports information director Tom Wancho, shows players clad in bunny ears and cottontails, THESE GIRLS CAN PLAY, BOY is the billing. Wancho says he has been shocked by the reaction, which has included at least one call for his firing, from Donna Lopiano, women's athletic director at the University of Texas. Says Wancho in his own defense, "The girls are happy with the publicity. They didn't mind. If it had offended the girls, I never would have done it." Wancho probably didn't help his case by pointing out that the players rejected his earlier idea: to pose the team seductively behind a bed sheet. The proposed billing: THE GIRLS OF NORTHWESTERN.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1066878/index.htm

If I still had my copy, I'd scan the cover and post it. I'll bet someone out there has one.

Tom, if you're out there, hope you're doing well, my friend.

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I don't get the point the columnist is making in the least, and it certainly seems a stretch to make these media guides an example of homophobia. But personally, I don't like them in the least because I think it comes off as trying to sexualize the athletes in some way, or "gussy them up" to make them more palatable to non-women's basketball fans (i.e. men).

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That they have whipped themselves into shape as a program.

David Cutcliffe held his first practice with the team after being hired and told the media that it was the softest team he had ever seen. They were that out of shape.

Hence, the photo above. And while 5-7 usually isn't cause for celebration, look at the pathetic excuse for football in Durham in the last decade and it's major improvement.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think they're trying to say, "We're gonna make you squint."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How would he even know that about you?

7. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Yeah, let's talk bigotry against attractive women. ... which is the only thing this illustration represents. Should it have two women embracing in a tongue wrap? Would that make it politically correct for the "Accept Us Or Die" movement?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

WTF? All this illustration represents is attractive women; and all the original thoughts suggest is bigotry toward attractive women. The "Accept Us or Die" agenda people need to go find something else constructive to apply their time to.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted