1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Connecting the dots between sexy media guides and homophobia?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Via Deadspin...

Jayda Evans of the Seattle Times takes a look at the media guides/websites of the women's basketball programs like Texas A&M, and Florida State, and feels these "glamor shots" are saying, essentially, lesbians not wanted.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/womenshoopsblog/2010251932_womens_hoops_media_guides_and.html

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Seems like a bit of a leap to me. Is the unsaid thing here that lesbians don't like to wear dresses? Don't like to dress pretty? But I'm not a woman, so I don't know how much that clouds my perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Maybe it's saying only hot lesbians wanted?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

OH HAI 2005-ERA SLANG

It's improper to be prejudiced against lesibans just because they're all flannel and work boot-wearing dykes.

What a simple-minded, cloying, overwrought and -- on top of all that -- stereotype-fueling pantload. Total dud.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is saying "Lesbians not wanted." Possibly.

I don't know how I feel about these. Is it different from photos of guys dressed in suits?

I have seen women in dresses far more often than guys in suits in posters and media guides.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've got a bigger problem with having the head coach in the middle of the picture.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm probably not gonna watch a women's basketball game, but I might look at the hot chicks on the cover of the media guide.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not a good column at all.

Evans is a "media guide geek," but she thinks programs with shots of women's basketball players in street clothes are a new thing? I remember seeing them in the early '90s.

Worse yet, she is spreading the stereotype that all lesbians are butch and wouldn't ever want to dress nicely. It is hard to be informative and ignorant at the same time. Evans pulled off the latter a lot more than the former.

I'm not saying homophobia isn't an issue in women's sports. It is. I'm not even saying I think these types of picture are appropriate. I'm not sure how I feel about it. But to link the pictures to homophobia is just ridiculous. Heck, some lesbians actuall might LIKE looking at attractive women. Go figure.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Looks like a couple of the players are wearing pants suits. I question their heterosexuality.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What's the Duke football team trying to say with this picture?

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

He looks like he's ready to turn them out.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bingo.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Huge leap. I have no problem with pointing out the trend and pointing out that media guides serve purposes other than just being for the media nowadays.

But when she introduced homophobia? It's baseless. And it doesn't do lesbians (who are not all cut from some cookie cutter mold) any favors. It's actually insulting.

Draft saved Draft deleted