1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Connecticut's Newspapers are Dying - Good"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Nov 30, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't get that at all. I got that saying all the liberal papers folding would be good for Republicans...but not that they were failing BECAUSE they were liberal.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which makes even less sense (his argument, not your explanation). The Republicans can -- and do -- use the "liberal media" to gin up their followers. If part of your strategy includes appealing to people's anger, why wouldn't you want as many things around as possible to make people angry?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Poster fun fact: Lono writes the monthly newsletter for Waffle House.

4. imjustagirl

Oh, I'm not in any way defending his rantings. I'm just saying that Baron's example had nothing to do with what he wrote.

Am I wrong?

5. digger

digger New Member

I'm one of the board's "lefties'' but I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with IJAG on this one. He's not saying the papers deserve to die, just that it presents an opportunity for conservatives to get their viewpoints out there through other areas. Where he's wrong is implying that the Ct. newspapers aren't doing their job as watchdogs because they're so "liberal''. Partly because his premise is that they're not doing their job because they don't do exactly what he wants them to do (I'm not saying he's right or wrong here), and partly because it's the job cutting that's making it difficult for the newspaper staffs to do ANYTHING.

So anyway, the example cited doesn't really address his points.

6. imjustagirl

See? There are smart lefties!

;)

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would, of course, discourage visiting the foof's website. Such slackjawed yahoos shouldn't be encouraged.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bad that CT newspapers are dying but the guy is right about the piss poor job they have done in chronically bad government at the state level.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Busted clock right twice a day, etc.

And "chronically bad" government covers a lotta ground. Some specific examples? . ..

10. "Dear Mr. Dowd Muska:
    Thank you for your submission to the Day. We regret that we cannot publish it at this time. Newspaper space is at a premium and we do not have the room to print the ravings of a smug, entitled, lockjawed, knock-kneed, poo-flinging heckler one step removed from having his own local-access cable show. It is our policy not to publish anything that reads as though it was stapled to a lamp-post and.or smeared with Cheeto-stained fingerprints. You can also blow us, if you'd like. We wish you well in your future literary endeavors and sincerely hope that, soon, you will be eaten by wolverines.
    Sincerely,
    The New London Day Editorial Board

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Let's go back to the John Rowland era - One of the worst deals he did that state still lives with today was his deal with the electric companies. It was a deal that was suppose to provide competiton for electricity purchase when in reality it further limited competition and prices have tripled.

Also lets go back to the Kraft / Patriots folly that cost the state millions.

One thing Muska is wrong about is that the newspapers only favored liberal politicians if you use Rowland as an example.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, I believe we agree on what Rowland was.

And for Hartford to actually believe they had a chinaman's chance
    to snatch the Pats was the height of naivete. Kraft used the pols like a sponge.

Draft saved Draft deleted