1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressmen sleeping in offices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Some watchdog group is up in arms about congressmen (about 30 of them) that are sleeping in their offices, instead of renting apartments in the area.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/02/15/frugal-lawmakers-sleeping-in-offices-may-be-breaking-rules-watc/

Not really a politics issue, since it's both Democrats and Republicans.

Much ado about nothing? A watchdog group that has too much time on their hands?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You can find an apartment for a lot less than two grand a month. The ones who do that always came off as phonies to me. All show with no meaning. There's plenty of places, without breaking the bank, they can find that's cheap and does the trick and where they won't have to worry about being victimized by crime.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not about money. It's about showing the folks back home they aren't "Washington insiders."

A friend is a press secretary for a longtime GOP House member. His boss misses the days when the two parties would tangle all day, but then be cordial enough to invite each other and their families over for barbecues or to play cards. His boss thinks part of the problem with Congress these days is the politicians aren't building personal relationships with folks in the other party, or even inside their own party.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Makes good sense in any business.

No doubt what your friend says is accurate.

A lot got done in Tip O'Neal / Reagan era because they got together socially.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I was just in the office of a Congressman that was bragging about sleeping on the pull out sofa bed in his office. Some of the new guys have relatively tiny offices.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You must understand, for many of these guys, this is an internship before they get the lobbying job that'll set them up with a seven-figure house in McLean and they can kiss the knuckle-dragging voters of West Bumfuck good-bye for keeps.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've got some relatives in the DC area and I'm not really sure you can get a decent (or safe) apartment for less than two grand that isn't 50 miles from downtown. And if you're keeping up a full-time residence in your district, that's a lot of money to spend on living expenses.

It doesn't really bug me much either way. I don't think it's some horrible ethical violation, and I don't think it is any indication you are some kind of tireless nose-to-the-grindstone worker spending 24/7/365 in devoted service to your constituents.

Maybe they just ought to renovate a wing of one of the Capitol complex office buildings into basic-model one-bedrooms and let members of Congress reserve them at a fairly nominal cost.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back in the day, like the 19th century day, there were roominghouses in the Capitol Hill neighborhood which specialized in renting to Congressmen. Maybe these guys should form a commune, although since many of them are Republicans they'd have to call it something else.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, there is the C Street thing.

I think I'd rather have members of congress living in semi-dorms at the Capitol than in a commune run by The Fellowship.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sure you can. I live in one and there are a lot of others. The closer in you live, the smaller the place, but there are definitely safe, clean, non-sketchy, metro-accessible apartments for less than $2K not too far away.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Eh. let'em sleep in the office. Deduct a portion of their pay and call it rent.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, for once, I agree with Starman.

Find a couple of roomies, give them a stipend, or build them a dorm. But, living in your office is gross.

Draft saved Draft deleted