1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congressman Wants US To Boycott 2008 Summer Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 23, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I oppose a boycott. I'd rather hear U.S. athletes over there speaking out against the human rights violations. I'd love to see somebody go Tommie Smith and John Carlos on the medal stand calling the Chinese government on its BS.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but isn't it going to be on abc?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No it wouldn't. They depend far too much on our interest payments to prop up their central bank.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man, is that apples and potatoes.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sure they do. But to say that they would politely smile and say thanks at a pull-out of the Olympics is absurd. I wouldn't be surprised if that was their response. Besides, they don't run for re-election over there. Why would they care about a bunch of farmers losing money? They know that the rich will be just fine.

How so?

6. joe

joe Active Member

Nice.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart would go out of business.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're right, of course. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for any politican -- Republican or Democrat -- to apply sanctions with real teeth when they can do something symbolic, look tough and keep the money coming in.

9. We are not going out of the way to piss off our new landlords that much.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I can't wait to see what sanctions the Chinese government tries to put on journalists from the West covering the Olympics.

Draft saved Draft deleted