1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congress to sue Bush

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh boy, this is going to get messy.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh Christ. Arlen, do us all a favor. Don't run for re-election, pull a Jeffords and turn independent, or even worse switch parties.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

At over 800 of these presidential caveats, one has to question whether Bush even believes in the rule of law.

There used to at least be a head-fake in that direction...

5. Considering that Specter also is pushing a poison-pill bill that would, essentially, make Fredo's illegal domestice surveillance legal retroactively, I feel well within my rights to say that I can't figure out what in the living hell Specter's up to.

6. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Arlen Specter, he of Warren Commission fame. He's credible.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is a strange - and highly technical - issue. maybe we need to actually read these signing statements to see what's up.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I hope they sue his a$$ for everythging he is got

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, like Bush sidesteps anything ...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's good to see this move is being led by a man of integrity such as Arlen Specter.

11. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

The president took an oath to uphold the constitution. If the president believes a bill, or part of a bill, is unconstitutional, then he should veto it. The veto is an important check on the power of Congress and one of the ways the Founders gave the president a powerful say in evaluating the constitutionality of a law.

Unfortunately, GWB has almost never used his veto power. Instead, he has turned to these signing statements. It's perplexing and frustrating that he would sign bills and then state that he believes them to be unconstitutional.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm firewalled out of AOL-related sites ... can someone post the article?

Draft saved Draft deleted