1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations, Troy Smith on.....wait a minute

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Just saw a story by Pat Forde on ESPN.com on Troy Smith, whom Forde says is "the little boy who could not find his mother one Christmas Eve, (who) will win the Heisman Trophy."
    Now, I love great heisman profiles as much as anyone, but, isn't it a bit presumptuous to release the article before the damn hardware is given out?

Granted, there doesn't appear to be a realistic shot of anyone BUT Troy Smith winning it, but still, if you were Brady Quinn or Brian McFadden, wouldn't you be a little pissed at the timing?

I've never been a Heisman follower until recently, is it normal for writers to release a profile on a guy saying he will win the award before he wins it?
    Why should Quinn and McFadden show up in New York if thats the case?

2. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

It's Darren McFadden, not Brian.......my bad

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem. It's pretty obvious.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't remember a year when it was more certain. Every poll, every survey, Smith wins in a landslide. I don't think they're going out on too much of a limb here.

The payoff for Smith and McFadden is simply the trip to New York and being mentioned as top candidates. They're not deluding themselves either.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Give 'em hell, Harry.

8. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

"The only thing new under the sun is the history you don't know."

-- Harry S. Truman

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Mitch Albom didn't write that story?

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

STFU

They did the same thing with Reggie Bush - Then Vince went out and Lit their asses on fiyah.

Not going to happen against Florida and Brady Quinn is going to get ROCKED by LSU - and forget about the Scarlett Knights - that story has already been told.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I didn't know Scarlett Johannson played for Rutgers.

Also, what the fuck is fiyah?

Your act is tired. Learn how to spell and write, Scoop.

12. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Columnists make predictions every day. "Troy Smith will win the Heisman Trophy" is perhaps the safest one you can make in sports right now, though I'm sure others here could think of some just as safe!

Excellent work by Pat, by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted