1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you're saying the outing rule is a silly rule?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No . . . I think it's a good rule. People want to be able to express an opinion without it mattering who they are. A small-timer at a weekly can make a noise as if he's sports editor at the NY Frackin' Times. And since many are actual journalists, people not having to give their own names makies for livlier discussion.

My point was that most of the people I have seen get pissed off about outing . . . are not movers and shakers anyway. And level of anger usually depends on the individual accused of outing.

It's a good rule, that some react to in silly ways.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The person who was outed was (is) a pretty good "mover and shaker," if I do say so myself.

It was a bullshit move, that's all.

And if Whitlock would actually engage in serious discussion on here instead of being an ass for the sake of being an ass, I'd welcome him back, too. But if he wants to act like he has in the past, good riddance.

4. dooley_womack1

Um, there's nothing silly about making a big deal about an outing. It's not a chip in this intricately built structure, it's a sledgehammer blow. But what do I know, I'm just some agate clerk.

And Whitlock should not be welcome back....ever.

5. dooley_womack1

Get to work on this, sabervirgin.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Piotr, outing is NEVER minor here, whether it be a Pulitzer winner or someone who writes a weekly column in the Podunk Press.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

and the reason for that is because the pulitzer winner or the writer at the podunk press might not want his/her boss/co-workers or competitors at the washington post or bfe daily news to know who he/she is at SportsJournalists.com

it has nothing to do with whether someone is a mover and shaker.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Again . . . I was wrong. I thought the outing was the usual stuff that freaks people out:

"Someone who is not my Internet friend just alluded to my possible region of the world!! They SUCK!! Ban THEM!!"

There are degrees of outing. One is what Whitlock did, a clear attempt to be a bastard. Another is when someone unpopular makes an allusion that, if the entire board combed everyone's posts, might be a clue to a possible outing.

I thought it was the latter, the proverbial Making a Mountain out of a Molehill, which is usually the brand of "outing" that happens. I hadn't thought that Whitlock (or anyone) had the audacity to really throw something out there that would clearly out someone. I thought he had just said something idle, that because a lot of people don't like him, became a bigger deal than it merited.

I never downplayed the egrigiousness of outing, when it is actual outing and not just the usual pissing matches. Whitlock's Sail Barge should not be allowed in this port again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.