1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to Stan Hochman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PatrickCarney, Jun 10, 2009.

1. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

Philly.com (Daily News) had a page dedicated to Stan Hochman's 50 years at the paper...

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/hot_topics/47223377.html

2. Roob

Roob New Member

great guy

living legend

i loved reading his boxing stuff back in the day and i never gave a damn about boxing

i remember once he had a quote from some fighter who had a bout that night & the quote had to be at least 15 inches in probably a 35-inch column. it was like four long graphs, all one quote, no transitions. just kept going.

i asked him about it ... why would you do that? why would you use such a long quote?

he smiled and said, "It's a good quote."

of course, these days, that quote would be longer than an entire story, but i always thought it was cool how he didn't give a damn about any rules, he just told the story, however it needed to be told

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was a privilege to know Stan, and congratulations to both him and to the Daily News for giving him the spread.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Not many people have the breadth and depth of Stan Hochman. I try to be reasonably well-read by sports writer standards, but I have a hard time finding subjects I know as much about as Stan does.
    He also has more discipline and focus than a lot of us from the boomer generation and later.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Stan is definitely one of the good guys and a top-flight columnist as well. I'm happy to have had a number of conversations with him and I'm glad he's still working.

6. deadliner

deadliner Member

One of the best interviewers I've ever been around. You could learn something by watching and listening.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Casty, he does stuff for the Daily News as a contributor. He gets a little something for it it and the paper still refers to him as a columnist. Like you Cast, Stan is old time and one of the good guys. And unlike many columnists before and after him, ALWAYS found time to say hello or give advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted