1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats to Nick Peters: HOFer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Dec 10, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Longtime Giants beat writer for oak tribune and sac bee wins the spink award.

Way to go nick!

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So is he now a Hall of Famer or is he honored in the writers' alcove with his name on a nameplate on a group "plaque" that includes all of the annually honored writers?

(I love this debate every year! :D )

Congrats are most definitely in order, though. Whichever way you slice it, it's the best ongoing tribute possible for a baseball scribe.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read Nick for years. Richly deserved. He's got SPINK!

4. hankschu

hankschu Member

I'm very happy for Nick. This is richly deserved because he literally wrote the book on the Giants. Actually, five of them.

Like Bobcat, I covered the beat with Nick for many years. We shared a lot of laughs (and a few pizzas). In fact, I owe my 20-year ball-writing career to Nick (I replaced him at the OakTrib when he went to Sacramento) and he helped show me the ropes.

So raise a glass of JB water tall with a twist, Nick's favorite drink.

By the way, I just visited the Hall and the cubbyhole that houses the writer and broadcast awards has shrunk, it seems to me. There is not one plaque naming each writer. Each gets a small card with his photo and bio plastered to a wall.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, that "cubbyhole" between the plaque gallery and the library has expanded in the last 20 years, Hank -- and added an exhibit room, for all the baseball movies. There are also more artifacts on display now; typewriters, mics, scorecards, etc.

I don't ever recall there being an individual plaque (at least on display to the public) for each writer, although I may be mistaken.

6. hankschu

hankschu Member

It's not a plaque. It's like a 5x7" display that shows a photo of each writer and his bio. All of these display cards are positioned on one wall that sort of divides the room. You are right about the artificats and the Baseball in Hollywood display.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Right, but you pointed out the area is "smaller" and that there are not individual plaques. And I said, I don't think there ever was.

In fact, IIRC, it used to be an actual plaque -- with just the writer's name and the year he was honored -- like you might see in a Podunk Agricultural Hall of Fame or something like that. Now, they're separated into those cards with pictures and bios.

So, you know, it's a step up. :D

8. hankschu

hankschu Member

I'm sure you're right, Buck. It had been 8 years since I'd visited the Hall.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly Buck. Went ot the Hall for the first time in July and felt the writers/broadcasters room was quite appropriate for recognizing the media contributions to baseball.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

GREAT GUY!!! ALWAYS HELPFUL EVEN ON DEADLINE.

11. AD

AD Active Member

one of the all-time great guys. calmly, quietly, serenely, the greek always did himself and his paper(s) proud.

12. sblust

sblust Member

I worked with Nick for many years in Sacramento, and he was always a pro. I remember vividly the day in 1994 that former Giants executive and National League President Chub Feeney died. I called Nick, asked him to write the obit, and an hour later it was in - loaded with tremendous anecdotal information that few other writers, if any, were capable of obtaining.

I loved working with him and am elated that he has been recognized with this honor

Draft saved Draft deleted