1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congrats, Moddy, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Richmond wins a National Headliner Award for its coverage of the Virginia Tech tragedy:

http://www.nationalheadlinerawards.com/Winners2008Print.html

I know you folks worked very hard to cover a story that was gut-wrenching for you. I'm glad you got recognition for the work you did.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This made me cry. After everything that team went through--especially Moddy and the Harris family--this is so well-deserved. Sad, but well-deserved.

Congratulations.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

A tip of my cap...

A tremendous job.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Congratulations!

I would still like to hear the story behind the story: How coverage was organized and handled immediately after the incident and how a plan was formed for continuing coverage.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll post that eventually Cadet. It will take a while.

It was quite a 10 days, I was torn apart and also part of some of the best work I have ever seen. When this award was announced yesterday, about a dozen people from the TD took time to call me and tell me. The executive editor was at the tournament today and came down so we could share a hug about it.

I'm ridiculously proud of the paper and, yeah, my part in it. I wasn't the only one who had kids/family over there. We sucked it up and did the job.

Thanks to everyone who has contacted with congratuations. Cadet, remind me. I'll do a thread on it next week.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I read Moddy's paper during that tragedy, and this shouldn't be its last award.

Draft saved Draft deleted