1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confronted by Richard Marx

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I love this story.
    Some writer drops a throwaway line in his blog about Richard Marx, who takes offense.
    Marx emails him, gets ignored. Calls him out out on Twitter and two end up meeting at a bar.

I have a whole new level of respect for Richard Marx.

http://www.themorningnews.org/article/right-here-waiting

RonClements likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There ain't nothin' that's going to take his heart away.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

It was a great read...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great story.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I came close to having to do a concert review for a Richard Marx show in Jakarta. Got out of it, but I had already done preliminary research on it and was stunned to see he'd been an active songwriter in recent years. For people I'd heard of, even, like Keith Urban.

Had absolutely no idea was from Chicago, but I cannot believe the author apparently didn't know Marx's wife was the woman from "Dirty Dancing." I thought everyone knew that.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It don't mean nothing.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It does bring attention to word choice, though. There is a big difference between questioning a person's work or a person's character. And yeah, being in the hometown does make it a little more personal.

This sentence: "Had I given it more thought, I would have written that Richard Marx was the kind of musician who wouldn’t be ashamed to record anything he thought would sell a million copies."

The author pretty much acknowledges the fact he was wrong, but adds, "But I didn’t want to say that to his face."

Just a little pissing match between two boys with big egos. Nothing necessarily new.

8. That's what I took out of this. Sorry, despite any criticism and critique that Marx has built up through his career, he isn't even close to being the childish douche that the writer is. After reading this, Marx should beat the shit out of him, then write a blog post about it.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hilarious that the writer wrote this trying to look tough, and kind of revealed himself to be a huge pussy in the process.

I ... um ... err ... probably should have phrased it differently. But in my defense, I never thought you'd read it!

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm glad I read that.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That this thread wasn't a Bubbler fever dream is the upset of the decade.

No, not even him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In a high school creative writing class, we were asked to take our favorite song and analyze the lyrics as poetry. This one kid, the kind who dressed in mostly black and took "creative writing" to mean dark poetry, went up in front of the class with "Right Here Waiting." He read, analyzed and played the song without a hint of sarcasm or laughter. He seemed damn emotional about it. Keep in mind, this was more than a decade after the song's release.

To this day, I have no fucking clue if he was kidding. I will always remember him as Richard Marx's biggest goth fan.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted