1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confessions of a parenting failure

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Idaho went with the nucklar option? Brave man. I would have made her time a few swim meets as penance.

One of the teenagers in my house fired up a Twitter account about 60 days ago. All the rage in school, seems like they all have one. Funny, some of them haven't figured out that anyone can read their tweets.

Idaho, we need to know more about this 'boyfriend'. Do you and the Doctor approve of him?

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When I was in Minnesota and my future wife was in NYC, she racked up a few months of $800 cell phone bills. Her employer paid her cell phone bills. After the first big bill he asked her to watch it. After the second, he said, now, really watch it. After the third he said she had to pay it. It's the only time he ever stood up to her but even she acknowledged she'd pushed it a bit far.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doesn't sprint have unlimited text, talk and data for $70?

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Ah, I agree, if this is the worst thing she's done you're doing just fine as a dad. Look at it this way, if she's on the phone all night, that's far from the worst alternative. I'd tell her that you'd rather she be on the phone than sneaking out of the house, etc., but that she needs to understand how her cell plan works and sign up for a netphone or something if that's what it takes to achieve cell-plan compliance.

Plus, remember how you were when you were a teenager...you probably could've gotten your ass kicked by someone's dad (or your own dad) a bunch of times. Doesn't mean you or the girls were bad kids. Just means that most teens will test and occasionally exceed the limits, but they'll learn from it.

I would give the phone back after a month and make sure your network is up-to-date with her personal life. And, of course, tell her boyfriend you'll kill him if he X, Y or Z. :)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm curious, because my kids are too young and I haven't had to deal with this yet, but is there anything positive that can come from teenagers having cameras on their private phones and laptops?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Cold turkey. Thankfully mom is the one who played Bad Cop this morning and told her about the bill that was $400 more than usual. She just held her hand out and the phone is was placed in it. This wasn't a first offense ... it might be the last. Still determining what conditions might have to be met before she gets the phone back.

I wish it was the worst.A $400 phone bill is tough to swallow. There are other failures on my part that I usually don't discuss publicly. But massive phone bills aren't that groundbreaking so I decided to vent here a little bit. She's a bright, very good girl with a wonderfully kind and giving heart, but has a couple of character flaws that give her mom and dad many sleepless night.

Usually about 30 minutes before it's time for the family meal.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe she'll have time to clean her room now, eh, Taters.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Boom's line at the top was great. Had to give props for that one.

How many wives does he have already?

I'm sure there's a reason even Brett Favre won't let Mark Chmura borrow his phone.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Far be it from me to get into your bidness, but since you asked: The phone would not even be considered for return until every dime of that overage was repaid.

That IS if she knew the plan and the rules. If she legitimately thought she had unlimited or whatever, you may have to work around that.

When I got my kids their phones (back in the days when you like 100-minute per month plans), I sat down and explained what was covered and what wasn't. I showed them the bill that broke down all usage, by phone. I told them I'd pay for the plan, etc. Any overage? On them. They rarely went over and paid promptly when the did - my wife was a bigger violater of the overage than any of us. She still is, and our plan is now unlimited.

Phone would also be charged at night in our room. Five hours past midnight my ass.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Congratulations. How do the celebratory lilies you won at the best-parenting contest smell?

Also, isn't it total bullshit for you or your wife to get away with violating the plan when they can't? Obviously, you have much greater time and resources to pay for such "violations" than your kids do.

I guess you affirmed and resolved any criticism with your third-to-last sentence.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pretty simple, he pays the bills he can go over as much as he wants. Once they pay the bills they're free to have 1000 dollar phone bills since it's their money paying for it.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There isn't anything positive that can come from kids having their own private phones. At least not for the kids. It's make the adult's life easier; they can pretend to keep tabs and spend quality time through a text.

Kids abuse phones, they text while driving, they neglect their homework and family relationships, they take the wrong kinds of pictures with them...it's roughly the equivalent of walking around with a beer in their hands 17 hours a day.

Draft saved Draft deleted