1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confessions of a first-time Nielsen diary keeper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Liut, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Confessions of a first-time Neilson diary keeper

Well, that explains Dancing with the Stars.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And the popularity of Dancing with the Stars, Good Wife and Bachelor/Bachelorette.

They attract sizeable to large affluent female audiences. THE prime demographic.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yes, that's right. As I indicated at the top, I've tried to be detailed and fair with my entries. I guess that's the reporter in me coming out. But again this morning, it was frustrating to only have that single slot for a quarter hour when I'm clicking back and forth, at times. Now, it's been rare to have watched five minutes of three different programs in a quarter hour but it has occurred.

Thanks for the insight on the technology aspects.

Oh, the misspelling of Neilsen in the thread title has been corrected.;D

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Re: Confessions of a first-time Neilsen diary keeper

Rest assured, Hack, if I actually knew who you were and you anchored in my market, I'd give you some love.

And I have given some love to the morning show on the local CBS affiliate but that's directly related to Charlie Rose being on CBS This Morning. But I don't watch much evening local news because I'm usually working. That's also true of the three over-the-air network newscasts. CBS and Scott Pelley did get me on Tuesday due to the election but outside of that, no NBC-Williams and no ABC-Muir? Didn't he take over for Sawyer?

As with PC, thanks for the techno info.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If we're going for full accuracy here, it's actually Nielsen (i before e, etc. etc.).

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Sadly, most TV stations still operate like we're in 1987...the glory days of television news.

We tell people "you have to be here at 5, 6 and the late news" when, really, people already have their information.

The key to surviving in my business... work in the Midwest in a market that skews older (coastal/beach markets pay below what they should for market size and are also usually more expensive to live in) and try to never be the highest paid person in the newsroom. Always try and be the second-highest paid person.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks. Well, here I go again to the modify button............................

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Around '88 I was at a going away party for a reporter. A couple of anchors were there. One said he'd check the phone call logs after every broadcast to see what the comments from viewers were. How times have changed.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I realize CNN has distributors other than Dish but I gotta believe the blackout is hurting them, particularly this week. No?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Some Nielsen households have cameras installed, and they watch you watching TV. No joke.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I got to be a Nielsen family when I was in law school. I mostly filled in what I thought I should be watching.

I recently got a message on my ipad that if I didn't go to a link and opt out, information would be collected for Nielsen. I can't remember what prompted it though. Only thing I can think is when I reinstalled the U-verse app.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nielsen v. Rentrak would make for a great Frontline or at least a beefy article in The Atlantic; they are really going at each other's throats.

Draft saved Draft deleted