1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confederate flag dispute in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 21, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-77/116675784994430.xml&storylist=national

I guess the civil war is alive and well although they won't admit it:

Allen Central Principal Lorena Hall and her students have defended their Confederate emblems, saying they symbolize strength, independence and pride.
    "It has nothing to do with racism," Hall said in a recent interview with The Associated Press. "It's a part of us."

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Good for the kids for boycotting.

That flag needs to go away. If the Sons of Confederate Veterans come marching in and claim "heritage, not hate", these boys better be ready to hit them with a giant cup of STFU.

And for those who will defend the flag...

Confederate V.P. Alexander Stephens
    Savannah; Georgia, March 21, 1861
    "The Cornerstone Speech"

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're just some yankee who doesn't understand. Elitist.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

are you being sarcastic?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As I see on signs down here -- "It's heritage, not hate." ::)

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Uhh ... did these kids pass history?

"It's a part of us."

Last I checked, Kentucky was a Union state during the Civil War. That would be like someone from Minnesota flying the maple leaf and saying "It's a part of us."

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And here's the thing that makes me want to ram my head into a wall. Repeatedly.

Kentucky was a Union state. Sure, it had its Confederate sympathizers and there was a faction that wanted to break with its Southern brothers. but when the choice was made, it was the Stars and Stripes, not Stars and Bars, that flew in the Commonwealth.

It saddens me that there are so many people -- both young and old -- who want to cling to this anti-American symbol.

And it's not just in the sticks of Kentucky, either. Up here in Louisville, a lot of older white people succeeded in compromising a plan to rename a street after Martin Luther King. The people said their neighborhood has an Irish, German and French heritage and it wouldn't be appropriate to name their part of the street after Rev. King, whose brother just so happened to be a pastor of a church on that street. In a public forum to discuss the proposed change, at least one white woman tried to accost a black councilwoman.

There are people today who don't think it's appropriate to name a street after one of the greatest individuals of the 20th century. Some give cop out answers, such as saying it'll hurt businesses who have to make changes. Others are more blunt and honest.

I hate saying this, but I have to be blunt as well. Racism is still alive and well in the state of Kentucky. There may be fewer practicing it, but it's nowhere close to extiction. And these idiots in Portland and Allen County are doing their best to fans the flames and keep hatred burning.

I wish nothing but the best to the students of the David School. Even if they have to lose the game, they have proven they are winners in life.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I cover a school in Ohio who uses the flag to augment their Rebel mascot. In motherfuckin' OHIO. Not Southern Ohio either.

I had to take their team picture for the football tab this summer. While there I witnessed the team use the flag in their individual mommy and daddy photos. Horrifying. The athletic director supplied the flag too.

The team had three black kids on the team. First black kid comes up for his individual shot and tosses the flag aside. Afterwards he is greeted with a litany of racist abuse...I think "hey black boy" was about the nicest. The other minorities, much younger ones, took the picture with the flag. I don't think they wanted too either.

Needless to say I dislike going to that school to cover events. I've thought long and hard about doing a story about the flag's usage at the school, but my editors don't seem too keen on it. I don't blame them as torrents of abuse and death threats no doubt await those who challenge it. If there's going to be change, it's going to have to come from the community. And with stories such as the one above popping up nearly all the time, it may be just a matter of time.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i'd run the story and put the community on its heels. they should have to answer for it.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Something is very wrong with your editors then. Any good editor would hear the story you just told and ask what the hell are you waiting for? Write the damn thing.

I understand you choosing not to write it if your editors won't have your back. I'd also want to get the hell out of there if that's the case.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

For once, I am ashamed to be from this state.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Boom_70 has got to be on vacation for the holidays; that or he just hasn't seen this thread, yet.

Please keep NASCAR off this thread Boom! :)

Thanks!

Back to our regularly-scheduled program.

I can understand how some folks really do view the Stars and Bars as a symbol of heritage, however, it seems as though the folks who see it as a symbol of racism are the ones who tend to flaunt and fly the flag, just to rub in its embattled pieces of hatred into African-Americans.

Draft saved Draft deleted