1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Playing guitar in a dorm stairwell isn't looked upon the same way when you're 40-something vs. when you're 19.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What the flying fuck is with the dirty socks?

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Saw Slayer headline Mohegan Sun Arena last Friday with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament (well -- didn't get there in time to catch Testament). I'm not a particularly rabid thrash metal fan, though I've always liked and respected Slayer because they're so good at what they do and they played an outstanding show. And I was really there to see Anthrax, who I've always loved. And they didn't disappoint. But Lamb of God completely blew me away. Totally unexpectedly. I'd listened to them a little bit leading up to the show and their sound -- particularly the death growl vocals -- didn't do much for me. But holy hell, they were amazing live. Totally electric. It's been a long time since I've had an unfamiliar band blow me away based on their live set. Gives me a new level of respect for Slayer, being willing to follow bands like Anthrax and Lamb of God every night. Again -- not a huge thrash fan (my metal tastes run to more melodic stuff like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest) but I love seeing anyone do something really well.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Interesting review, X-Hack. Like you, not a true thrash metal fan, but over the years I've had my moments.

As I understand it, Joey Belladonna is back on vocals for Anthrax ... and they have a new album, right? How was their set?

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

You are correct. Joey is back. They have a newish album (For All Kings -- it's at least a year or two old). Set was short, but was outstanding. They played pretty much everything I'd pick for a 7 or 8 song, 45-min set. Maybe they could have thrown in "I'm the Man" or "Efilnikufesin (NFL)" -- but I was pretty happy with what they picked. Fun time overall. And I didn't pay for it -- a buddy of mine is a Mohegan Sun regular (I really don't gamble at all beyond NCAA pools and an occasional hand of blackjack) and had more than enough points to cover the tickets (though I wish we could have got there in time to get floor seats) and a room so we didn't have to drive back to Boston afterward.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Four things: It’s his middle name. Justin Townes Earl is better than his daddy. He can’t spell for shit. I once sat next to him at a bar while I ate a chicken sandwich and he couldn’t escape a drunk who kept asking him about Steve.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw Paul Simon in Toronto last night. Incredible show, songs from all points in his career, a tremendous band and the best sound I have heard in an arena show in ages, maybe ever. Only misstep for me was the reworked arrangement of "Bridge over Troubled Water", yeah, I know Simon wrote it and it is a great a song as anyone in the rock era has written but he can't sing it like Art Garfunkel and the instrumentation seemed clunky to me. But the rest? Wow....

Saw Depeche Mode at the same venue Monday, went because a buddy had a free ticket and I work next to the arena. Show did nothing for me. At times painfully loud and I am just not that familiar with their catalogue aside from their biggest songs, and they didn't do "Just Can't Get Enough".

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Outside of bouncers/security staff, you are probably the only who saw those two artists on back-to-back nights, Huggy. Congrats!

Huggy likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been on the fence about seeing this tour but now I'm all in. Huge fan of Anthrax and Testament but I didn't want to sit through Lamb of God or Slayer (seen Slayer several times and, unlike Iron Maiden, they've been playing substantially the same set for twenty years). Very geeked up to go now. \\m//

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Saw Frank Turner with Lucero & the Menzingers last night. Frank Turner is as good a live performer as I've ever seen. It was a really good night.

Next up: Butch Walker in early September, Johnny Marr in late September. Likely going to The Selecter/The English Beat (feat. Ranking Roger) in October. May do the Foo Fighters when they come to town -- the StubHub prices aren't crazy, and it's within a few days of my son's birthday.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're living my life -- Frank Turner next month and Butch in September.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nice. My only slight gripe about last night: man, I'm too old for this three opening acts shit. 4 1/2 hours start to finish, not counting time waiting for the show to start.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted