1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just got home from my first Jason Isbell show. He was backed by the 400 Unit.

Much louder than I expected. First eight songs they really rocked. Started with Anxiety. 24 Frames was in that group. Even White Man's World was strong. Then they slowed it down a bit starting with Last of My Kind. Cumberland Gap and Speed Trap Town were in this group. with STT pretty much just Isbell on his own with acoustic guitar accompanied a bit by Amanda Shires. The others filed in as the song went on. Then they closed it out by getting loud again for a few more songs such as Cover Me Up and Super 8. A short encore followed, but Alabama Pines did not.

They rocked loud but not hard as Isbell was very calm, cool, and collected playing and singing. No dancing or jumping or stomping around. A couple flourishes here and there. Not a lot of banter. Shires talked a bit more during her opening set, telling a couple goofy stories.

Venue was the newish Goodyear Theater in Akron, which might be the best concert hall in Northeast Ohio. Nearly 1,500 seats, butts in almost ever one.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just scored free tix for the Afghan Whigs tomorrow night. Pumped!

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting the presale for Dead & Company tomorrow.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good show. High energy for a Monday night. Greg Dulli still has it. The opener, Har Mar Superstar, was spectacular. Never heard of him before.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

$595 for floor seats. Looks like I'll just watch the show on Nugs.net.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Last night, I bought fourth-row seats to see Kris Kristofferson in October. The wife is a huge fan, so that scored me some points, which is nice.

Hermes likes this.
  8. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Wife and I got seats on the lower level for $144 each for Dead & Co. at New Orleans. Under the circumstances, not too bad.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Arcade Fire/Preservation Hall Jazz Band at TD Garden Friday night was outstanding. Sadly, not a sellout, due to weak album reviews (Everything Now was not a disaster for me, but definitely ranks fifth of AF's five albums) and some of the fanbase being turned off by the EN marketing campaign's ad spoofs, which apparently backfired.
    AF played in the round, in a boxing ring (although the bull gang took down the ropes four songs in).
    And PHJB is making a lot of friends on the road:

preservation hall jazz band madison square garden - - Yahoo Video Search Results

Next show, if I can find tickets: LCD Soundsystem Dec. 8 at Agganis Arena.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit last night. They were very good. Opening act was Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls, who were pretty damn great. I hadn't heard anything by them going in, but I'm now a fan.

U2 & Beck tomorrow.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Turner writes some great songs. He's been touring with Isbell since last summer. Put on a great opening act with plenty of audience participation when I saw him.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Beck is opening for U2? For how much of their tour? Sounds like a bit of an odd pairing.

Draft saved Draft deleted