1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We just take the little shits with us if push comes to shove. Have taken them to Mellencamp and McCartney.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Those trips were reserved for the born-again Christian years where the only music in our house was Christian rock.

So essentially, he saw all the great bands in their prime and only took me to the shitty ones.

"Oh, you saw Keith Moon live in person? That's great. Thanks for the memories of taking me to see Petra 25 times in a 10-year time period, Dad!"

Thankfully as he's aged and I've gotten older, he's gone back to enjoying going back and seeing some great bands.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think the "sold out" stuff is nonsense. And I liked Dookie. But maybe because I'm a little older, I just found his and the band's foray into concerned artists worthy of eye rolling. I just never saw Billy Joe as having the gravitas to pull that off. I suppose I might have seen things differently if I continued to follow the band after college, but I just could never take them as seriously as they wanted to be taken. I was too jaded by my late 20s. :)

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Petra! THAT was the band I was just thinking of yesterday. For some reason I was thinking of high school and a kid who had his notebook (probably a Trapper Keeper) covered with a religious band's stuff. I knew it wasn't Pantera but was close. Thanks!

Hermes likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

I understand, and he made his own bed a bit by coming to the fore as the guy singing about whacking off as good procrastination for writer's block. I think they were more serious than they portrayed from early on, though - a song like "J.A.R.," though personal not political, has some emotional depth. I'd love to know what he's like behind closed doors, because obviously a lot of this is shtick.

6. Dick Whitman

Next up: Sturgill Simpson

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

By all metrics, I should love his music. But it has yet to grab me.

8. Dick Whitman

You and I have these strangely similar tastes where we seem like we should agree on bands but never do. It's like we're at the same festival, but always opt for different stages.

QYFW likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the same age as Billy Joe and like you, feel their music has aged (somewhat) with me. Their music from the late 1990s and late 2000s underwhelmed, but when they hit the target (Dookie, American Idiot and their recent Revolution Radio) Green Day hits it out of the park. Or in the case of Wrigley Field, at least into the basket ... ;)

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

One more thing about Billy Joe: he's one of the best rhythm guitarists of his generation. Throughout the Green Day albums, he's had a certain sound/tone that's uniquely his. And for a three-man band, they generate a whole lotta sound.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Springsteen on Broadway in late October. Most expensive ticket I've ever bought and more than 2x the cost of my most expensive Bruce ticket.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

As long as we share the mushrooms.

As for Simpson, I'll keep listening. It took me a while before I had that moment with DBT and they became my obsession for a decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted