1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand what they were trying to do - you can't get Jimmy Page, Angus Young, and Jack White in a room all talking about playing essentially the same way, so Edge was a nice choice, on paper.

But, yeah, when Jack White is talking about how effects are ruining rock 'n' roll, and then you show Edge bragging about how lame and easy the riff from "Elevation" is if it isn't run through a million effects pedals, there's some cognitive dissonance for the viewer.

It actually might have been interesting to explore those different philosophies a little more, but the film maker never went there.

QYFW likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. They play a few songs from War and The Unforgettable Fire, and then play The Joshua Tree start to finish. Then they took a break, and came back for an encore with stuff like Beautiful Day, Elevation and One.

Our show closed with Bad and I Will Follow, which was just about perfect.

3. Dick Whitman

And I think Page comes off really well in the movie. For having a reputation as a tough interview and, back when, an occultist, he presents in the movie as a amiable guy who just loves guitar.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yep. He seems genuinely giddy to talk guitar with those guys.

5. Dick Whitman

Did you see they had never played "Red Hill Mining Town" before this tour, ever? I guess Bono didn't think he could hit the high notes earlier in his career.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah - I read an interview with The Edge where he said they only play a few mid-tempo songs because they just don't really work well live, and that one never made the cut. It was good live, though. You wouldn't have guessed it was only the 4th time they'd played it.

I will say, the end of side two of The Joshua Tree kind of drags, and you really feel it live.

7. Dick Whitman

I have mixed emotions about a band playing an album straight through. I know Pearl Jam fans love it when it happens, though that's probably the element of surprise elevating the experience. Part of the fun of a live show is seeing how the band chooses to sequence its catalog for maximum effect.

On the other hand ... it will be pretty cool to see a band play a stone cold classic live start to finish.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Red Hill Mining Town" is my fave song on Joshua Tree. And any show with "Bad' is a great one.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

They are so perfectly situated to close shows because their very early hits are huge anthems.

10. Dick Whitman

Saw the show last night, and it was mostly tremendous. But I think it seems strange to close with a new ballad that nobody knows while leaving anthems like "Bad" and "I Will Follow" on the shelf. I like when bands surprise or offer deep cuts or other rarities at shows. But this seems like an odd choice.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Next up Dwight Yoakam in two weeks

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't believe how long ago it was. ... But U2 was the first concert I ever went to. I was 17, I think. It was the Unforgettable Fire tour. I don't remember much about the show, but U2 was my favorite band. ... until the Joshua Tree. I played Boy and October and War and the Unforgettable Fire (albums, we didn't have CDs) constantly in my teens. Then, they made me wait 3 years for a new album. It was my freshman year of college and they put out the Joshua Tree, and I ran out and got it the first day it was available. ... and my initial reaction was, "What the hell is this?" I have since come around to it a bit (but not entirely), but I moved on from U2 then. I would bet they put on a hell of a show for someone my age now. I'd consider a U2 concert.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted