1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Best: Other Ones, Alpine Valley (WI), 1998. Opened with Dark Star>Jack Straw, finished with St. Stephen>The Eleven>Box of Rain>Turn on Your Lovelight. Basically, the Grateful Dead with Bruce Hornsby and a couple of other guys. Saw them three nights later at Deer Creek and they were equally-good.
    (Runner-up: Bruce Hornsby, every time I've seen him he's been incredible).

Worst: Chicago/CSN, 1996, Deer Creek in Indy. Cold, rainy night. We were on the lawn. The remnants of Chicago were pretty good, but you could tell CSN wasn't really in it. Graham Nash started yelling at the crowd for leaving early before the encore, and then yelled "Thanks for not leaving" when they left the stage.
    (HM: I saw Lou Gramm after a minor-league hockey game a couple of years ago. He was so out of shape, he would leave during the extended guitar solos to take a rest every song).

Last: Bruce Hornsby at Indy Jazz Fest, 2004. Between grad school, changing careers, having a kid and the rise in concert ticket prices, I haven't had opportunity to see one since. Heavy rains delayed the show an hour. When he came out, he put out a blistering show, finishing with then-Pistons coach Rick Carlisle sitting in on piano for Rainbow's Cadillac.

Most interesting: The first concert I attended was the Grateful Dead at Deer Creek, 7/2/1995. Sat in the 7th row, had a bird's-eye view of a gate-crashing incident, happening right after Bob Weir sang "and the riot squad/they're restless/they need someplace to go" in Dylan's Desolation Row. Five weeks later, Jerry Garcia had passed.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, this is depressing - I posted on this thread nearly a year ago and I see that my last concert attended is still my last concert attended.

Outside chance that I'll see The Budos Band in LA next Saturday, but I doubt it.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Best: A tie between the opening date on GnR's Use Your Illusion world tour (opened by Skid Row), and a rap bonanza headlined by Public Enemy and also featuring A Tribe Called Quest.

Worst: Stryper. (I was a kid...leave me alone!)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's huge and out of shape b/c of the medication he's on for his brain tumor.

I'm still mad at him and Mick for not figuring out a way to make this shit work, though.

5. Norman Stansfield

I'm looking forward to Tesla at the local county fair at the end of the month.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

If that's irony in your tone, I will hurt you.

7. Norman Stansfield

HELL no. I'm serious.

The fairgrounds is actually within walking distance of my house, too. They've also brought in Foreigner, Winger and Poison over the past few years.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

First: Bon Jovi/Skid Row in Charleston, W.Va., during the New Jersey Tour

Last: Big arena band -- Pearl Jam in Missoula, Mont., as part of a fundraiser for John Tester. Little club -- Lennon about a year and a half ago.

Best: Def Leppard in Evansville, Ind., during the Eurphoria Tour (They played my fav song, Let it go, which is an obsure track of their second LP. They almost NEVER play it) and Melissa Ethridge in Indianapolis as part of a festival (I was there to see Bon Jovi). She got up on stage in front of 25K with just an acoustic guitar. Amazing.

Worst: Korn in Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. I don't smoke dope. I think that was the problem.

Next: Depends on who comes through next on my night off

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Do you live in 1987, Norm?

10. Norman Stansfield

Edited for clarity.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're a good man, Norm, no matter what dorky Mikey says.

But I think Jeff Keith's voice is shot. I saw on the Classic a benefit concert for the victims of the Great White fire and he sounded horrible. too bad...Tesla was fucking nails from '86-'90, til they laid a giant turd with Psychotic Supper.

12. Norman Stansfield

Us 80s music junkies got to stick together.

That sucks that Keith's voice is gone. I'll still go, and report back on what I hear. I was just listening to their Greatest Hits CD today in the car, as a matter of fact. It pisses me off, though, that one of their most-played songs on XM is 'Edison's Medicine', which I'm not a big fan of.

Draft saved Draft deleted