1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"concern over vince young's emotional well-being": should we be discussing it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 9, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Well, I think our job is kinda to tell the fans what's going on. So yeah.
    And T.O. two years ago? For fans, who don't interact with the guy all the time like reporters do, that episode explained a lot that some of them hadn't quite grasped, at least in Philadelphia.

Although with Vince, the kissingsuzykolber boys photoshopping a Titans helmet on Brittney Spears as she attacked a car with an umbrella mighta been a bit over the top ...

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

What ever happened to confidentiality between patient and doctor. Am I missing something or did this Dr. Phil wannabe break that rule?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're missing something.

In the case of a fear of someone harming themselves, doctors are required to tell family. How that went to Fisher finding out, and then the police finding out, and then it being in a police report...that's a whole 'nother deal.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

But that's just it, the doctor didn't tell the family. I wonder if he or she was trying to gain 15 minutes of fame.

6. I agree that the police report means the story should be written.

But it seems like the Titans and/or the doc have really added a lot of details to it that I'd think were covered by HIPPA, or at least some sense of decency on the part of the doctor and organization.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly. Now everyone thinks this kid is a nut case or on the verge of being one. Whenever he gets booed, and it's gong to happen, people are going to see how he reacts.
    This information should never have been released and if I were Vince, I'd sue. The first person would be the shrink followed by the Titans.

8. this is where i'm coming from. i don't think there's a lawsuit, per se, in this whole episode, i just wish there had been some more respect for someone who is seeking counseling and trying to find direction.

as far as the shrink alerting fisher, i can see that -- young's mom is not there, and fisher is probably the closest person to young in the area. if there was a genuine concern about young's well-being, i'd be calling fisher first.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I can't argue with that reasoning, but I think it didn't go down that way. I get the feeling that Young talkted to shrink. Shriink got scared called the team. Team got scared called the cops. Cop trying to make inroads with a news source, tips them about the situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted