1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conan's getting lazy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by suburbanite, Sep 19, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Let me preface this by saying I like Conan, and I think his bits often are outrageously funny, which is why I watch. Hey, I expect some misses. Nobody bats a thousand, but the hits make up for them usually.

But it seems to me this year he's gotten real lazy. He does so many things that are just meant to waste time in lieu of real comedy, moreso than in the past. First there was the footage of the kayak going down the ski slope that everyone on the board loved. I liked it, too, the first couple times. 25 times later, it was kinda hackneyed.

Tonight, his idea to waste time was to keep having shots of some woman interspersed with him, and then faking indignation as it continued to happen. And, of course, he complains to the woman in the audience instead of, uh, I don't know, THE DIRECTOR, maybe?

For all the coin he's pulling down, is it too much to ask for him and his writers to actually write stuff, instead of doing stupid crap like this?

Sorry, I just had to vent.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It would be nice if he let guests finish complete sentences before he cut them off and went into another "Look at me! I'm goofy Conan!" bit. I find a lot of his stuff funny, but as an interviewer, he sucks.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Well, that's another thing. He does a lot of stuff that's supposed to be self-deprecating, but it comes off more as self-serving.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well fuck you if you don't see the genius of masturbating bear. :D

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does the Coked-Up Werewolf still show up from time to time?

6. KP

KP Active Member

Can't beat Pimpbot 3000.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Or the Pooping Robot (that one's old, but it was funny as hell).

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Five words: Chewbacca stuck in a glory hole. Sorry, but Leno doesn't pull that one off.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I guess that's actually six.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'd rather have him make me laugh than listen to Ashton Kutcher stammer through something that was set up for him to have a punchline.

98 percent of late night interviews give you nothing worth remembering about a celebrity. Make me laugh or I'm shutting you off.

11. XXXX

XXXX Member

conan may not be the best interviewer, but who cares. i don't tune in to hear about jodie fosters boring ass trip to somalia, i tune in to see the fed ex pope. and the masturbating bear.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if the Masturbating Bear and Triumph and his funniest bits will be able to live on when he takes over for Leno...

I'll be bashed for admitting this, but Jimmy Kimmel's show is very, very funny... I watched it a few weeks ago because he had someone on that I wanted to see and I found myself laughing more than I usually did watching Conan or Letterman... I rarely watch Leno because I think he's fucking terrible...

Draft saved Draft deleted