1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computers: Pentium, Celeron or AMD? Which is best?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Quick question: which processor is better?

Obviously, Pentium's are the best and most expensive.

Are Celeron's or AMD's a good alternative? Or do you get what you pay for?

2. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Depends on what you want to do with it. For heavy video editing, get as many cores and as new a CPU as you can afford. For Web browsing, word proc, etc., a low- to midrange dual-core CPU will do. Intel's Core2 Duos are still out there, but the newest line is the i series (i3, i5, i7). Without checking, I'm not even sure Intel makes a dual-core Celeron any more. ... AMD is mostly low-end, although their quad-core Phenoms are nice high-end chips. I just built myself a triple-core AMD (X3 440) Windows 7 box and have been quite happy with it. ... To compare CPU power, check out the Passmark CPU charts at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/index.php and look around at http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I liked it back in the day when you had 286's, 386's and 486's. Where we at now, 2286's?

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

What do you want to do with the computer?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh, I'm not even sure I'm in the market right now. Desktop works fine, but it is probably five years old. Still runs great and can play video.

Just was looking at laptops in Best Buy the other day.

If I were to get one, it would mainly be for email, web surfing, probably some freelance event coverage. Occassionally, watching video on sites like Hulu. A little bit of video gaming, but nothing online like World of Warcraft.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

That's basically what I use mine for. I have: AMD Athlon™X2 Dual-Core QL-64 (2.1GHz / 1MB). Runs like the wind for everything I do (gaming so far has been Age of Empires III and Heroes of Might and Magic V, nothing too taxing, to be sure). Based on the fact that my laptop was pretty cheap, I'd say this isn't exactly a high-end processor.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Apple.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My first computer was a celeron 667 compaq that somehow got me through three years of college before purchasing my first laptop. It ran Counter-Strike and other games with ease, but I also upgraded my video card. I know the celerons are pretty much bottom of the barrel, or at least they were back in 2000.

Draft saved Draft deleted