1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Computer] Mac or Dell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kettner, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Kettner

Kettner New Member

I'm going to be working in journalism (newspaper, magazine) and was wondering what is more commonly used in the industry. I'm buying a laptop this week, so any help would be appreciated. Was wondering what the pros and cons are when considering journalism.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Editorial: Dells
    Graphics Dept. and Advertising: Macs

Not sure why, but that's our split.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm a dedicated Mac-head, although if it was my money, I'd probably save the several hundred dollars difference and buy a Dell or HP.

For writing stories, either machine is fine. If you're planning to keep track of large numbers of pictures or do any graphical work, the Mac offers several built-in tools to make those tasks easier.

If it's your money, get the best warranty you can get.

4. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i a have both. macs are now better. more stable, better made, more durable and more logical. i have a four-old Mac desk top, a 3-year-old iBook and a year-old dell lap top. the dell comes in third in performance. it's still a decent machine, it just feels cheap and locks up all the time. and all i do with the dell is cruise the 'net and write stories.

5. It depends on what you would be doing, mainly.

If you're on a budget for the laptop....then the Dell (or HP, and I've got a few friends who have a seemingly reliable Toshiba Satelite laptop) may be your best bet.

If you wanted a good desktop, I'm liking the MAC these days, especially since they went to the Intel Chipset.

I think the best bargain may be these new MacMini's. The last 5 machines our paper has bought have been Mac Minis. They run $599 for a 1.66GHz/60 GB HD or $799 for a 1.83GHz /80 GB HD. They dont include peripherials, but you can easily get a cheap USB keyboard and mouse and a decent price on a monitor.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

For the love of all that is right -- not to mention your sanity -- don't buy a Dell.

I've had three crash in various forms on me within an eight-month span: one CPU and two hard drives. Happened to two laptops and my home computer.

Get a Toshiba (which I have). Get an HP. Get a carrier pigeon with wireless access.

Don't get a Dell.

7. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

If you're a writer, even though you'll use a pc at the office, there's no reason you can't use a mac to write/send stories from.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Do not, do not, do not ever buy a Dell laptop. They are massive pieces of shit. I should know. I own one.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I've had more problems with a Dell laptop than any other.

(of course, don't buy cheap off-brand laptops, either ... I know from experience -- although my cheap, off-brand laptop does about all I need it to do, so it doesn't bother me ... I'm just waiting for it to blow up at any moment).

10. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

Macs also run Windoze now. I have an iMac with boot camp running XP. It's by far the nicest PC on the planet

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My HP laptop runs great despite having taken a beating in two years. I'll recommend it.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I used to be all about the dell. But since I really started working I have been really happy with my new macbook.

I like it because its easier to use.
    It has a longer battery life.
    More Horse Power
    I also like that the Airport is included so no extra stuff to bring with you.

But here is the bad stuff about a Mac.

They are expensive
    $1100+ Mac
    $700+ for a dell
    Lack of programs

I still like my apple and would not switch back.

Draft saved Draft deleted