1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer keyboard question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Somehow I've locked the numeric keys on the board. When I type "O" I'm getting "6" unless I keep the Fn control depressed.

How do I escape this hell?

2. boots

boots New Member

reboot

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

BRILLIANT!

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ah yes... Apple.

Sounds like you are suffering from Mystery FN Key Lock. Sometimes I hit the FN key twice and that does the trick.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This might work, this might not.

Shut down the computer completely. Once it has completely shut down -- no noises, no lights -- unplug the keyboard.

Wait a bit.

Plug the keyboard back in.

Restart the computer.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT THIS WHILE THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING! YOU WILL FRY THE MOTHERBOARD AND WIND UP WITH A VERY LARGE PAPERWEIGHT

7. Smasher_Sloan

OK, not Apple and a laptop, not a desktop with a separate keyboard. Any suggestions now?

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You turned on the Num Lock. It is probably an Fn key somewhere. Hold down Fn key, press the Num Lock key and you'll be all set.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Use it for target practice? :D

K, in all seriousness, try hitting <ctrl> and the number lock key at the same time. If that doesn't work, try <alt> and the number lock key. If that doesn't work, dig out your owners manual and see if there is any troubleshooting tips for a locked number key. There could also be something caught under the key. Get some canned air and clean out your keyboard. (You'll be shocked at the gunk you'll blast out of there.)

See if that works and let us know.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Pastor, you're a genius. I didn't even know I had a numbers lock key, and I'm at a loss to explain how it got locked. I owe you lunch. Rosie, you're invited, too. Blasting out the crumbs has made everything work easier.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Every couple months, I dismantle my laptop and give it a good cleaning as my 'puter seems to be the biggest dust magnet in the state. Canned air is a godsend!

As for how it happened? You inadvertently hit the number lock key and whichever other key you have to hit at the same time to put on the number lock. It happens.

And now you know how to fix it! :D :) :D

So where you taking us for lunch? :D

12. Smasher_Sloan

I have some Arby's coupons....

Draft saved Draft deleted