1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Computer Help 9,000,001

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pancamo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Those things are *brutal*. It took me two hours to clear one off my home computer once, and I don't think I've ever faced a computer problem I couldn't solve in less than half that before.

Editing the registry is the only thing that will get it done, and that's not something you can do without being confident in understanding how your computer works.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The home computer got this one using Google Chrome, oddly enough

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This virus hit my laptop a few weeks ago.

I second EStreetJoe's advice. I used Malwarebytes in safe mode and it cleared right up. And while I'm not a complete computer illiterate (it still have to sound out words with my mouth), it was very easy to do.

A couple weeks later, the same virus hit my sister's desktop and I looked like a genius fixing it for her.

And, 2much, my sister and I were running IE.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I ended up doing a system restore to last week. The damn virus would not allow me to run Malwarebytes at all. She uses Mozilla but still has IE on the computer. Should I remove?

Thanks for all the advice.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What may I ask did you all click on/download to prompt this onslaught?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I got hit by something like this last month and I will add my appreciaiton of Malwarebytes. I did a system restore, ran that on the advice of our IT guy and it was great.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm pretty sure that unless you're running Windows 7, you can't uninstall IE, as it's part of the Windows Explorer framework that Windows runs on. I believe you can remove it in Windows 7.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I have a question for anyone that wants to answer it. I had to buy a replacement power cord for my laptop, been working fine for the last few days, now all of a sudden it shuts off when I plug the power cord in. Any suggestions?

My computer is a Toshiba and the cord is a brand called retrax.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not really sure what would cause that, but I'd either return the cord you have for another, or just buy another one (with a view to returning it later). If the new cord causes the same problem, then your computer's the problem. If not, then your problem's solved.

If the new cord still has the same problem, then there's probably something wrong with the computer's power supply. Can you turn it back on after it shuts off and while it's still connected? Or do you have to leave it off to charge the battery?

Do you plug it straight into the wall, or do you have a surge protector? If you don't have a surge protector, then maybe that's the problem. It's unlikely, but computers are weird.

In any case, experiment with a new cord first. It's the easier potential problem to diagnose. It might be the brand of cord, too. Who knows.

10. Bodie_Broadus

A couple people told me it may be an overheating thing and have nothing to do with the cord.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's definitely a possibility too. The cord could be a red herring.

Does the computer feel hot when it shuts down? You should be able to notice if it's overheating. If it is, check the fan for dust, etc., and to make sure it's not blocked.

My old POS computer does that, and I keep it so that the fan hangs off the edge of a table. It's not exactly safe and sturdy, but I manage to avoid knocking it over most of the time. :D

12. Bodie_Broadus

Yeah it does feel warm. Seeing as it is a laptop it is usually on my lap, it gets warm. I will probably just have to shut it down for a little while after long periods of usage.

Draft saved Draft deleted