1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Complaining parents - When did this trend start?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, this is not another "Let's bitch about parents" thread.

When did parents start calling to complain and/or demand about coverage for their kids? Has it always happened? Or is it a recent trend?

Every year, it seems like we (as in all of us) get more and more of them. Why is that?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When boomers became parents.

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Same time as reality TV took off?

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I would imagine it started around the same time that mid-sized papers made the move to focus more on local. Once the parents got a bite of earnest coverage, they wanted more.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot about this recently.

It started when I was talking with my father and he was asked about my biggest headache at work. When I told him about how parents expect coverage like it's included in the Bill of Rights, he was shocked. He couldn't believe parents did that.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The day after Caveman Journalist etched a story about Little Johnny's hunting exploits on the cave wall.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good marker.

8. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

It started when you didn't write the story about those incredible athletes who work just as hard as everyone else.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it was when the Eden Extra gave Cain the headlines and didn't mention Abel.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Abel didn't come through in the clutch, though.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I probably sound a bit like Bobby Knight here, but I think it's an outgrowth of the "our kids can do no wrong" belief that's become so common in parents today.

The parents who kvetch because you don't send a reporter to cover Optimist Club junior sheep tossing are probably the same ones who ream the coach for not starting their budding Jim Thorps or confront the teacher because they're obviously not motivating Johnny's glue-eating ass.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Worked just as hard, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted