1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Dec 20, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My commute used to be 4 miles. They transferred us 48 miles away. So I moved.

Now I'm 29.4 miles away. All freeways (albeit five different ones), so it usually takes about 45 minutes. I hate it.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

SoCal at its finest, eh Buck?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mine's about 25-30 depending on the traffic. I miss the six-minute drive to my old job.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can walk to work in about 20 minutes. Driving takes about 4 minutes. Damned lights!

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

10 minutes.

First job I had was a 30-minute commute. Made it one day in 20. Tried to do it the same way the next day, got nabbed for going 20 MPH over the speed limit. Cop let me go with a warning (his shift was 10 minutes from ending).

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

15-30 minutes, depending on traffic.
    I remember a study from a while back that said any commute of less than 10 minutes wasn't advisable, either, because that's a good buffer separating work from home. Rode my back to work at a previous stop, which was nice.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

18 minutes each way.

And I sometimes miss the days when I interned and commuted 45 miles each way. Gave me time to turn up the tunes and unwind.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Used to be 45 minutes each way to PNC Park, now it's 20, but lots of hills and stop lights.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That used to tide me over while fighting the city traffic. Now nothing helps.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Used to be 42 miles (90 minutes or longer going, 45 minutes coming back) on 5 freeways. Now, 7 miles (10-15 minutes). But the change resulted in a serious boost to my mortgage payment.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I hate commutes and live a mile away from the office. I could walk to work if I had to. The longest commute I've ever had is 45 minutes.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Takes Mrs. tbf about 35 minutes on a bunch of podunk backroads. Takes me about 20, depending on how backed up traffic at the gate is.

Draft saved Draft deleted