1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Courtesy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

It's not a black and white issue.

I've been through it on both ends. My last stop, I answered to a SE who wanted nothing more than to see me move up (though I posit this was less due to my ability and more to my singular ability to drive him batfuck.) When I started interviewing, it was right before football season, and he didn't deserve to have the rug unexpectedly pulled out from under him. I kept him apprised as much as I could.

But prior to that, I answered to a tyrannical prick who would have sabotaged me stiffly had he found out, so I went pretty much deep cover.

My general rule is since my SE is someone who elected to pluck my flaky ass off the pile of applicants, he is entitled to a full measure of consideration, respect and disclosure...unless he gives me reason to fear a dark side.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Not leaving three months after the SE moves the heavens and earth to pave your arrival helps too.

3. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Depends on the boss and your relationship with said boss. At most major papers, the sports editors are EXTREMELY well connected and will surely know if someone is talking to you about a job. Lots of big mouths and loose lips out there. Believe me, any decent big-time sports editor knows who is "in play" and may well know it before the person "in play" does. They also probably know their wish list already if they have to replace you.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I had a boss once that found out I was looking around at a new job. So the motherfucker gave me plenty of time to find what I was looking for. Luckily I made the most of it and he still sucks at what he does.

5. sartrean

sartrean Member

I interviewed for a job on a day off once, 140 miles from my current employer. It went well, and on the drive home that day I figured it was a matter of time before I began looking for an apartment to rent.

The next day, I didn't even turn my computer on before my boss asked to see me.

"Is everything okay with you here," he asked.

We had already been through the fact that I worked like 90 hours a week and was paid less than shit, and he told me months earlier that I'd have to "earn a raise by taking on more responsibility."

With that in mind, I just said, "yeah, everything's fine."

"Well, Publisher Jackass in __ city said he interviewed you yesterday," my boss said.

And, during the interview I said it was best to contact previous employers when he asked about contacting my current one. Publisher Jackass said he understood.

So when confronted by my boss, I just had to get back into the whole I-work-like-a-MF-dog-round-here-and-I-live-on-Ramen-noodles-and-schwill and that there just wasn't enough time in a week for me to take on more responsibility. My boss responded that he didn't like employees who weren't team players and always thinking of themselves. He also gave me one of his patented lectures, filled with yelling, arms flailing about and throwing shit like staplers and paperweights across the room.

After that joyous start to a deadline day, I called Publisher Jackass and ask him why the fuck he'd call my boss when we agreed it wasn't the best thing to do. He reiterated that he'd never met my boss and had never spoken to him and that he thought the paper my boss owned was B.S.

Come to find out three months later in this hell that my boss had the whole office bugged and he spent a good part of his day watching us on camera, and listening to our phone conversations. This wasn't too long ago, obviously. And this knowledge explained to me why myself and the ME were paid less than shit.

Lesson learned: Offices have ears, even when nobody's around.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Holy shit, dude. Where was that at so I know where to avoid?

That being said, any time I have a phone interview or correspond via e-mail, I do it from home.

Who and what and when I tell anybody anything depends on the who what and when. I seem to be in a fairly isolated part of the country. Anything I haven't offered as info hasn't been found out.

It's okay to not completely bail on bosses if they've treated you fairly, but there's also a limit to this "team player" bullshit they pull when they don't wan you to start thinking too much about your situation.

7. sartrean

sartrean Member

Well, if you live in Alabama, this publisher lives in your state and owns several small weeklies and twice weeklies there. Wish I could be more specific, but I want to maintain some level of autonomy.

I usually do all that non work related crap at home too, but the problem with this job I had a while back was I was always there. I was not only the whole sports department, but I was the photo desk and the only page designer for like three different papers. It was pure hell, but this dude sure did put on an act before he hired me. He made it seem like it'd be a cushy job.

8. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

There's no simple answer.

I tell all of my employees I'll do whatever I can to help them get their next job. I ask them to give me the courtesy of letting me know if they're pursuing another opportunity so that I can begin to plan. If they leave, it might make sense for us to switch some responsibilities, etc. If all I have is two weeks notice, it's a little harder to make some of those moves.

But I've had bosses that were complete dicks that did hold a grudge, so it depends on your boss.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't think it depends on your boss. I don't see any advantage to telling you supervisor. Some might indeed be decent people who would help you, but your supervisor has their own interests first, the interests of their boss or the owners second, and you third.

To protect yourself, you have to assume the worst. Even if your boss is decent, he might mention it in passing to his supervisor, who might not be such a decent person. And, if there are layoffs and tough times, decent people might do things which aren't so decent.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Gold. Why tell?

If your boss is good as gold and finds out, he'll by OK with it.

If your boss is a dick and finds out by your or someone else, he'll be a dick.

No advantage to telling.

Personally, I assume people are looking. I don't get in their business. People do what they have to do. Sometimes, it's a relief when they leave, sometimes a huge pain in the ass for me.

But why get petty about it?

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

OTOH, sometimes, they find a way to massively screw you for being "disloyal."

I left my last newspaper job a couple months back. Gave the company SIX WEEKS NOTICE, largely so they could have time to find my replacement and they wouldn't be completely hosed.

Their thank-you gift? Someone from our shop (which is a penny-pincher's delight) called the corporate office and RETROACTIVELY rescinded the raise that was supposed to go on my next paycheck. (and when they gave my annual review, they very conveniently hid the salary sheet).

It only cost me $50 or so, but I'm a bit upset about the principle of the thing. Had I had it to do over again, I'd have waited an extra week or two so the raise would've been officially in writing (on my paycheck), and then told them.

In other words, don't tell them until you have something IN WRITING from your new job. Some places are really petty and will find a way to whack you or screw you in some way.

12. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I'm in Idaho right now, but I'm from 'Bama originally. Pretty sure I know who you're talking about, and that does not surprise me.

Draft saved Draft deleted