1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commercials that make you want to cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Nov 18, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As if the Sarah McLachlan ads for the ASPCA weren't bad enough (pairing the weeper "Arms of an Angel" with abused pets), the Humane Society has launched their own campaign of abused animals looking longingly at the camera with similar music playing in the background.

Why not just have someone sitting there with a needle? "If you call in the next 10 minutes we won't put Bowser to sleep."
    Brutal stuff.

I thought the Feed the Children ads were bad.

Some of the Christmas ads are just as manipulative.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Couldn't agree more.
    Did you catch Sarah McLachlan on "Weekend Update" 2 weeks ago, talking about "The Dogs!!!"
    It was hilarious.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/107505/saturday-night-live-update-sarah-mclachlan

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yeah I usually quickly change the channel when those commercials come on because I can't bear to look at that stuff.

So I guess their ads kind of have a reverse-effect on me because I'm tuning them out instead of in.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The new Snuggie ad, where the dog is wearing a Snuggie and reading glasses, makes my cry with laughter. Probably not what you're looking for, though.

Our local SPCA is running an abandoned pets ad. It starts with a dog digging a hole under fence to get to the hot bitch next door and make some puppies. Then the voiceover, in truly horrible overdramatic fashion, starts in:
    "Nature at work? Yes. But thousands of orphaned puppies and kittens are put down in this state every year."
    Another one that's on the radio has a sad-sounding vet telling a dog how it's a good girl, all these sweet things -- and then, "This won't hurt," right before the dog is about to be put down.
    It doesn't necessarily make me cry, it makes me mad that they play on emotions like that.

5. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Those Kay Jewelry ads make me want to cry because they're so fucking cheesey.

It's always some lameass douche giving some chick a hunk of diamonds and then smiling at each other while just barely holding back the tears and kissing. Every kiss begins with Kay

Dickheads.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The one with the deaf girlfriend, at least, made me stop and watch.

In all sincerity, I know it's cheesy, but one of the AT&T commercials gets to me these days. I guess it's just the father-to-be in me, but I love the one with the daughter that puts the stuffed monkey in her dad's briefcase and he sends pictures to her while on his business trip. The look on her face when he gets back just gets me every time.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

There is far too much "raising the roof" in that commercial.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, God, those animal shelter commercials are killer - especially if you've lost a pet recently, as I have. Before, those ads made me just grab my cat and hold him for about 30 minutes. Without him, I freakin' cry like a baby every time they come on. The one where they have what the cats and dogs are thinking? ("Will I die today?") Torture for me.

There's another one that airs here in Cincy that gets me. It's for the St. Vincent de Paul Society, about kids in poverty. Two little blond girls, sisters, going to sleep on the floor and the older one tells her little sister "Don't worry. I'll keep you warm."

And a single tear runs down Killick's cheek.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The crossword puzzle "He went to Jared" jewelry ad makes me wanna kill everyone involved.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

There are two that make me shed a tear for the sad state of this country.

One is the NFL "play 60" commercial that encourages kids to get off their fat asses and play for a whopping one hour each day. It's sad whats happening to todays kids.

The other is the ESPN "take time to be a dad." We have to have commercials urging parents to play with their kids. It's even sadder whats happening to todays parents.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The ad I liked last year was the loser teenager trying to figure out what to get his mom for Christmas. He ends up buying a suit and tie for himself, stunning his family when he shows up for dinner and putting a big smile on his mom's face.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hate that commercial, and just about any Jared commercial.

Draft saved Draft deleted