1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comments from a journalist covering a (possible) development

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Heard this the other day. A reporter, whose identity and affiliation aren't vitally important to this issue, said this about the Nets' possible trade to acquire Dwight Howard: "I hope it happens because it would be great for the NBA."

Isn't that the sort of homerism that suggests -- or at least gives off the appearance -- that the reporter is hoping to make the thing happen by discussing it?
    Or am I too uptight on this?
    Curious to hear any thoughts.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

did this reporter happen to be speaking on the WWL?

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think you're too uptight on this.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't even understand the question. Is it like people who don't want people to say the word "rain" if they don't want it to rain?

How will mentioning it make it happen? Does he have powerful words that change the ways of the world?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If that was in a column, so be it; hopefully he tried to back it up. If it was in a straight news story, shame on him and the gatekeeper. If it was him just talking to you, that view hopefully won't affect his coverage

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Reporter? Columnist? Analyst?

As dooley points out, it's important to know which of these roles - and which set of responsibilities - we're talking about.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the scene in 'Broadcast News' where William Hurt's anchorman character gives a breaking news report about Libya, and concludes with the line, "In other words, I think we're all okay." And the wise veteran station manager (or producer, I forget) says off-camera, "Who cares what you think??"

I get Tap's point: Are you someone whose opinion on this matters? Are you supposed to have an opinion on this? Or is it your job to report the facts and save your opinions for your buddies at the bar?

It's a good question, but the answer is probably in the details of the specific situation. (Hm, just saw Dooley's response above, nailed it.)

8. tapintoamerica

Reporter rather than columnist.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Who'd he say it to? Radio/TV, or an offhand comment overheard in the pressbox?

10. tapintoamerica

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I see no big problem. He is rooting for the sport to prosper, not the team, which is probably going to draw fans in the new location/arena with Howard or without him.
    If my newspaper's chief competitor were to decide to add 50 newsroom staffers, it would be good for journalism. (Because I assume we would have to react in some way.) That doesn't mean I am rooting for them to kick our ass.

12. tapintoamerica

Thanks for the input, all.

Draft saved Draft deleted