1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commending peers - why or why not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zebracoy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Doesn't happen much at out joint.

Count me as one of the grumpy desk folks. Kudos mean little me. Awards mean even less. Meeting my own standards is enough for me, I guess.

However, I am fully aware that this business usually does shit to reward good work on just about any level, especially if you have the indignity of working for a corporate chain. If something really impresses me, whether it be a story or someone's extra effort, I have always tried to fill in where the paper has failed. Sometimes it is an quick email, sometimes it's a gift card to the movies or fast-food place. I don't do it often, but I know the gesture is appreciated when I do.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I just ya'll to know you're doing great work today ... I really appreciate you making it to SportsJournalists.com today and being such a productive member of the ball club. Thank you.

3. I'm a compliment guy. I email guys and tell them they did a good job or I liked their story.
    Having said that:
    There was an article a few months back on Yahoo about the need by Generation X'ers to have praise heaped upon them for doing their job.
    I think a lot of the Baby Boomers grew up with the It's-your-job-you're-supposed-to-be-good-at-it attitude. Whereas Gen X'ers, who were incessantly praised by mom and dad and given trophies for finishing fourth in Little League, expect praise for doing their Job.
    Not saying one's right and one's wrong. Just saying.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I get more comments if I happen to do a sports story for A-1. Metro people or readers will comment. I think I've complimented just about every writer on our sports staff at one time or another and the deskies and photogs as well. If I perceive someone to be arrogant, though, I'll generally not comment. It all comes down to how an individual feels about his peers - does he want them to do well? Compliments boost people. If you're insecure about your own work or don't like a person, you're not going to dispense them.

5. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

This reminds me of a former co-worker who didn't tip. "Nobody tips me when I write a good story," he said.

Don't be that guy.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that managers generally should compliment staffers more, but it means a lot coming from co-workers, too.

So if you think there is not enough positive feedback in your department, make sure that you are one of the ones giving the atta boys.

And do it in public if you can. Not in an email.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i always send an email complimenting another writer on our staff for a particularly good story/column. having worked on the desk a couple of years, i do so for clever headlines, too, if i find out who wrote it.

when i worked a beat, i'd acknowledge a good story by a competitor. then use it as fire to keep me sharp.

my shop's pretty good about acknowledging jobs well done. i know all-too-many shops have the "it's your job" attitude.

ASIDE TO ACE: good points, but unfortunately, email communication is the only way to go in many cases. i never, ever see any of my co-workers.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's why I said if you can. If you email, it's good to cc to the honchos, too.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

"Compliments kill."

That's the stated theory of Kentucky hoop coach Billy Gillispie. If you've ever seen one of his practices, you'd know he certainly abides by that.

For the record, I disagree.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wait ... some coaches let you watch practice? What's that like?

Most places I've worked I almost never got positive feedback from the ME, the EE or the publisher. The last place I worked, my editor and I were really good friends, so he would commend my work from time-to-time, but usually in a non-formal setting. In all other cases, though, I only heard from the bosses when I fucked up or they wanted me to pursue a story angle I wasn't looking at hard enough, in their opinion.

The one place I worked where I got routine positive feedback from the boss, I was only there six months because I hated the town so much (it was in a dry county, for one thing). But it was probably the best work environment I ever had.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a ASE early in my career who went to a management seminar where they told him not to praise employees because it would lead them to ask for more money.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think specific praise is a great thing. Don't tell me it was a good story; tell me what you liked. I try to do the same thing: "I really liked the line about his uncle" or something like that. I see a lot of complimenting-for-the-sake-of-complimenting, without explaining why. Just comes off as obligatory that way sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted