1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming to Denver for a few days -- restaurant/music suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, May 25, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Git in last night and went to a bar. Now I see why you people pimp Fat Tire as much as you do.

Quality, quality beer.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Where'd you end up going last night? And hopefully you can get out and about today. It's spectacular out.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't drink much. I attribute that to the fact that you can't get Fat Tire where I live.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

The few times I've been to Denver, it's been to attend a sporting event (Avs or Rockies). Each time, my dinner/drinking started somewhere on Blake Street, moved up and down said street with one or two beers at a number of bars, and ended with a great game. I also ate at the Wynkoop one night. Whoever mentioned that place is right on - the wings are awesome and the cask-stored beer (porter I think) was phenomenal

Being from Wisconsin, I love tailgating before games (both Lambeau and Miller have HUUUUUUGE parking lots), but there is definitely something to be said for the downtown ballparks/arenas with awesome bar scenes nearby.

I would love to go back to Denver again for another weekend of baseball or hockey

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's an Irish bar in between where The Post used to be and where the RMN used to be where everybody would go late at night. I was there covering a game and a writer friend dragged me there. About 12:30 about 10 guys from each paper came in.

The place looks like a dive, but the atmosphere was really cool.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I love Denver. Going to my first game at Coors tonight. Could care less for the Rockies as the Indians are coming in for a three-game series. Drive from Summit CO is usually quick and nice. Going as a fan, should be able to get off 70 on the Park exit and find Lot B?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Try Skinny Dip, it's better than Fat Tire.

And 1554 is heaven in a pint glass.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Havoc,

Check this out first before you drive all the way in. It's absolutely the best way to get to Coors; I've used it countless times from Westminster/Broomfield and never been disappointed.

http://www2.rtd-denver.com/SpecialRides/Rockies_Ride/index.cfm

Always like to assist a fellow WNYer!

9. Madhavok

Man, it's good to see your name on this board after I took about a 6-month hiatus from SportsJournalists.com!
    I was actually lookin at RTD a few moments ago and it look's easy as pie.

Also, the Bills are coming to Mile High on the Dec. 21st. Hopefully the game has some meaning. More importantly, hopefully I can score tickets.

10. Madhavok

*Bump*
    Didn't want to start my own thread because I really feel it shouldn't warrant its own, but I'm going to be going to Coors again probably early next week for the Diamondback series. Anyhoo, I sat in the rockpile last time and (yeah, it's cheap but you're so far away from the action) this time around I'm thinking of getting a bit closer, like section 127 or maybe section 331. I'm a fan of sitting behind the plate or down either base lines. So the question to the LoDos is, where is your 'spot' at Coors? What do you feel is one of the best places to sit without shelling out way too much watch two teams I could give two hoots for? eBay has a good section which is reasonable if no one bids on them...

And I'm looking at August 12th, I'm guessing Randy Johnson might be the starter..

Thanks!

EDIT: Anyone use Ticket Nest ?

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Hey, Madhavok,

Here's another possibility to stretch your dollar. In times when I've gone back home over summers past, I've called the Rockies media relations department to inquire about media tickets, letting them know my media outlet, etc. Not free tickets -- just an allotment of tickets the team often has that can be purchased at face value, without having to pay all those ticketbastard surcharges and such. That saves you a few dollars per ticket, which can potentially upgrade you from upper to lower deck, or way down the line to closer to the bases, etc.

They've been pretty good about it with me, especially if it was just a typical game (i.e. not interleague against the Yankees, etc.). They charge your credit card and leave the tickets at will call, and you pick them up on the day of the game. Hopefully that's helpful.

BTW, I can almost guarantee you'll have no problem getting a Bills-Broncos ticket. I'd bet for no more than face value, even if you wait until game day and mull around the stadium area to find a seller. And if both teams are out of the playoff hunt, you might get a really good deal. If you do get in a jam, though, let me know -- got a couple family connections that sometimes can't use their tickets.

12. Madhavok

Bump again.

The opener for the Rockies is apparently sold out? Is this including Rock Pile tickets? Not that I want to sit there, but being only my third game (hopefully), I'm still a newb when it comes to Coors. Trying to score a pair of tickets for under $100 is like pulling teeth for a team that's probably going to be bad again. Only reason I want to go is for my lady friend who is from Philly.

How's section 343? I can snag a pair for a $100 which seems ridiculous when I got a pair in 142 for $45 last season. But, it is the home opener.

Also, if I leave my car parked in one of the $5 lots off of the main way, how hard is it to get to 16th street mall and such? Being an afternoon game, I'd like explore the city a bit before heading back to the mountains.
    Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted